Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walleye

MDR
MDR Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello fellow egger's my husband just returned from Canada, he brought home some walleye. Being a new egg owner I have not attempted to cook fish on the egg. Does anyone have recipes or suggestions on the temp, time,seasonings ??? Thanks ahead of time . So far everything I have attempted on the egg has been OUTSTANDING mostly attributed to the Peoria Egg Fest crew that helped get me started but also to those of you who share your recipes & knowledge. Thanks to you all.

Margie

Comments

• I hope this doesn't sound too lame, but plain old lemon & butter is great on walleye. I think it would be easy to overpower it, and I prefer the taste of the meat without enhancement. Great eatin' though, congrats on the egg and the fish.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    First of all, let me say "I hate you". JK. I LOVE walleye (we call them yellow pickerel). I only get them on our summer trip to my home in Ontario. They don't sell it down here in NC. I've seen it years ago at a Kroger, but not since. I'm so jealous.

Honestly I love my pickerel battered up and fried with some malt vinegar, or lemon, salt and tartar sauce. You could deep fry in the EGG perhaps. LOL.

My stomach is getting hungry just thinking about it. Next time have him bring home some yellow perch.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    NC-CDN,

Beer battered and fried...that's what I'm talking about! :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MDR
    MDR Posts: 55
    We are frying some but my husband had some grilled in Canada & would like me to replicate it. Problem is I didn't get any so there you have it I can't replicate so I need help
    Thanks

Andrew I will savor a piece for you I promise.

Margie
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    dont get too many walleye here, but there is yellow perch everywhere and i agree, fry em. some times i cant find the malt vinegar and have to resort to ketchup :whistle: :
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    its going to be hard to duplicate a grilled fish from a fishing trip from fish camp :laugh: i think this casserole would work for you, i believe it would be fine for walleye but would need to get some to try :laugh:
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=912287&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Margie

The skin on fillets work well on the egg. Mad Max cooks fish on a bed of sliced lemons right on the grill. The flavour of pickerel/walleye is so delicate that you wouldn't want to plank or smoke it. The whole fish is good with lemons and butter in the cavity with a few mild herbs. Skinless fillets would go really well in parchment.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NC-CDN
    MDR wrote:
    We are frying some but my husband had some grilled in Canada & would like me to replicate it. Problem is I didn't get any so there you have it I can't replicate so I need help
    Thanks

Andrew I will savor a piece for you I promise.

Margie

You better. LOL. Thanks. I have to wait till August and will take a drive to Port Burwell, Ontario, which is on Lake Erie. There are a couple of places to get fantastic fish and chips.

When I used to do simple shore lunches of fish up there I'd use salt & pepper and cook it in butter. Tasted even better when it's -20C and your ice fishing. Mmm.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    I have been told that there are Walleye in Kerr Lake. They can be caught around the damn at the 30 to 60 foot level..

I am thinkin' it's time to get a fishin' license and go check...
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    My favorite recipe for anything in the perch family is to pan sear them with some butter or EVOO, julienne sweet onions, red bell peppers, couple cloves of garlic. The usual salt and pepper

Get the onions and peppers softened up before putting the fish in.

Alternately, a egg wash, flour dredge, buttermilk and then corn bread with a touch of Cheyenne. Deep fry.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Walleye is not what we call an eating fish. Very unhealthy. Please pack in dry ice and mail to Galveston Texas and we will make sure it gets disposed in a safe way.
    Always think green first...
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    My favorite walleye is breaded and in a pan of oil.But I have done it with cedar plank and thinly sliced lemon on top ,on the egg.Yum!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Send it to me I know what to do with it. :woohoo: :evil:
  • Photo Egg
    I saw photos from the Winter Fest...
    More like drink beer and get fried.LOL
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Little Steven
    Darian,

Adam invited us to go ice fishing. Just never happened :blush:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Photo Egg
    I saw a bunch of photos that never hit the forum.
    I know all of you had a great time...
    See you next year.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • I'm with Serial Griller.. Dust w/ cornmeal, salt and pepper and pan fry. Best fish I have ever had. Homemade hash browns are great with this! That said, if I had some left over, I would smoke it on the egg with some maple.
  • Little Steven
    Darian,

You serious? Not a lot of fishing but we had some major fun and some amazing food!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Photo Egg
    I have friends and family in MN.
    I was born in MN. Just sorry I missed the last one.
    I'm planning on next year.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Steve,

Fishing FOR SURE this year.

I've got a V.P. in charge of everything 'fishing' he is also a guy our size that can eat like nobody else I have ever seen.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Frying them is for sure a great way to cook Walleye. Although, I got a little crazy last summer and straight up grilled 4 fillets on the ci grid with a little Shaken the Tree over a touch of butter. It was truly fantastic. It was the first time I have heard my difficult sister rave about anything of mine.

She did it again at thanksgiving over the bird. :)
  • Garnerac
    Garnerac Posts: 134
    I just got back from Canada too. Great time fishing up there! Went to www.tinkersplaces.com
    I would blacken it personally, using Paul Prudhommes Blackend Redfish Magic!
  • Garnerac
    Garnerac Posts: 134
    I just got back from Canada too. Great time fishing up there! Went to www.tinkersplaces.com
    I would blacken it personally, using Paul Prudhommes Blackend Redfish Magic!
  • NC-CDN
    Celtic,

Really? Walleye in Kerr? Never heard that. I've heard BIG catfish and I've caught a striper in there and obviously all the usual suspects. Walleye though? Interesting. They have perch out west in some lakes I've heard.

I'd love to get more into the big cat fishing around here.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    MDR - I live in the upper midwest where walleyes are the fish to eat and catch! We will on occasion grill them on the EGG for something different than pan frying. This is what we do and what my Grandparents have done for years. Heat the egg to q 350 dome temp,
    have your fillets ready with NO SKIN!! You can put it right in the grate or on a piece of tin foil either way works. I brush on a little EVOO and i season with a little salt and pepper, and put a little bit of butter on the top if i am doing it on foil if on the grate i spread it on vs just putting it on top and letting it melt down the sides. it doesnt take long to grill, but turn the fillets when you normaly would when you pan fry. if you are using foil try to turn the fillet on top of the melted butter, if on the grate just turn them. dont over cook, usually doesnt take for than a few min a side depending on how thick the fillets are. i dont use any lemon, i only use that on white fish. hope this helps.... :)