Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland gasket fibers

Options
CaCook
CaCook Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought rutland grapho-glas gasket..

I was going to use it to shim around chimney, my multi function vent is fitting quite loose

I saw alot of fiber and silvery dust coming off the ribbon, is there anyway to clear the ribbon of the fibers? I went through it with a torch but it only helped some.

I plan to swap between the iron chimney and the ceramic cap for putting out the fire, so I do not want these fibers falling into the cooking chamber..

Those that used it for your dome gasket can you tell me if the fiber stop shredding after some heat cycles?

As bad as it sounds I folded a strip of foil around the chimney, and it seemed to accomplish my purpose of getting a snug fit.

Comments

• bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    Options
    I hope more experienced eggers chime in here, but with my LBGE after a while, both caps fit well after a bit of grease is built up. With the ceramic cap, it doesn't fit TIGHT, but it does put out the fire rather quickly.
    More here will have a say in this.
    Thanks, Bob
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    CaCook, I use felt gasket materal in my rain cap. I don't do anything for the DFMT.

000_1701.jpg
  • CaCook
    Options
    I want the felt..!
    hopefully my dealer will send me some.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    CaCook wrote:
    ...I saw alot of fiber and silvery dust coming off the ribbon, is there anyway to clear the ribbon of the fibers? I went through it with a torch but it only helped some...

Both BGE and Rutland say do not use their material for gaskets as it is not designed or safe for use around food. If you question place a quick call to BGE service to verify.

As Tim posted above, the felt gasket around the inside of the ceramic cap works fantastic.

GG
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    I glued some original gasket material in mine. Works like a charm.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Please stop twisting Rutland's words. You change a couple words or the order of words and the sentence takes on a whole new meaning. There is a world of difference between "do not use around food" and "has not been approved for use around food".

And as for that silvery powder..well, it's graphite.

Graphite = 99.99% pure carbon = lump charcoal
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

..."they have tested it for safety on woodstoves and fireplaces and they have not tested it for safety on anything else, so they recommend against using it on anything else". (Doug/TNW, 3/25/2008)

...As to the ceramic and Rutland gaskets, both of the manufacturers say their product is not intended for or recommend to be used as a grill gasket. So use those at your own risk. (Bobby-Q/BGE, 8/30/2009)

Bobby-Q Made had another post about Rutland, however, it appears that post was pulled from the forum.

"has not been approved for use around food"

or
    TNW - "so they (Rutland) recommend against"
    BobbyQ - "is not intended"

Evidently my comment "do not use around food" is taking too big of a leap.

As I stated above, call BGE. That was stated in case anyone had concerns so no one needed to put any weight in my comments.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

..."Rutland company asked me repeatedly to remind everybody on this forum that their gasket is NOT TO BE USED on a Ceramic Grill because of cancer causing materials getting in / on your food." - SmokinGuitarPlayer, 1/10/2010

Kent
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Kent,

Hate to disagree but Fidel is right on with his statement. Know your sources.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Options
    I've been using Rutland for about a month now and its been practically indestructible. All the loose fibers I burnt off the first day with my torch. Its flattened out nicely. I don't see how it can come apart and get in your food. Unless you drag your and roll your food over the gasket before your cook. Plus once the egg is closed there is almost zero exposure. This stuff is amazing in my opinion, unless the mothership can come up with something comparable I'm sticking with Rutland.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Kent,

I really don't want to be disagreeable with you on this, but quoting posts from a couple forum members is a little different from a representative of the production company, or the FDA, or other authorities. Why not quote posts from me, stike, and a handful of others? Perhaps because they disagree with your stance on this argument?

Nothing against Bobby, he is extremely knowledgeable about the egg and cooking, but materials safety isn't his area of expertise.

Nothing against Fred, but he's a salesman of guitars and grills. I don't know him and have only spoken with him briefly, but I don't believe he has the requisite knowledge to make the statement he made.

And the whiz, well, I respect him as a scientist and an author. Maybe you should dig deeper on his site and see where he has published the following:

""We do not have an authorized statement for the use of Nomex® around food. Nomex® is not FDA approved."" - The DuPont Corporation

And deduced from the MSDS on Nomex:

"So, apparently exposure to temperatures above 572° F can release Hydrogen Cyanide. This is certainly possible when using a ceramic charcoal cooker"

The context of Rutland's statements has been "it hasn't been tested or approved, so we cannot recommend it for use around food." In fact, the letter from Rutland to The Naked Whiz states precisely that fact - they have no test data to indicate it is safe. The corollary is that they also do not have any test data to indicate it is dangerous. There HAS BEEN NO TESTING DONE. I'm sorry you can't see the distinction between that and the contrary position you take.

The MSDS for fiberglass indicates the only danger is from inhalation. The MSDS for graphite indicates there are no health dangers.

So, honestly, the evidence would seem to say that nomex gaskets are inherently more dangerous than rutland. But don't let silly things like facts and data get in the way of your preconceived conclusions.
  • CaCook
    Options
    Sorry guys I didn't mean to stir up a gasket material debate
    I decided to try it based on NakedWhiz say it is more or less OK, I just don't like the stuff that came off it especially where I am installing it.

My dealer is sending me some felt gasket to add to the dome!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Quoted the exact statements and sources above Steve.

Kent
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    What BGE says about the safety of this product is really irrelevant since they can only get their information from Rutland. What Rutland says is what really counts. You can read the letter I received from Rutland at this web page:

Rutland Safety Information

Bottom line is Rutland has not tested their product for use around food, so they have no data as to whether it is safe or not. Everyone should read the MSDS's and Rutland's letter and then make up their own mind. Rutland won't tell you that it is safe or unsafe.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Fidel
    Options
    Thanks for chiming in TNW. I hope you don't mind that I used some info from your site in my last post on this matter.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Nope, not at all. I'm not trying to take sides or tell anyone what to do. Like I say, they should read the information and make up their own minds. I understand that some people want to play it safe.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    As David byrne always says, "stop making sense"

one more vote for rational thought. (like that ever makes adifference, though)
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Seems like they (Rutland) aren’t interested in finding out what food tests will discover...no lawsuit liability?

People who suggest others use it without knowing if it is in fact hazardous are "over the line" on this old argument. IMHO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Well, their product is not intended to be used in any sort of food application, so why would they want to spend money commissioning a study about the safety of doing so? I'm sure if you called them up and asked them if it was safe to use it as weatherstripping on your windows, they would give an identical answer. And that's really all they can say. It is safe to use on a woodstove, but they don't know if it is safe to use for anything else.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Fidel
    Options
    But smitty -- I didn't actually tell anyone to use use it, or otherwise recommend it. This was started because I asked GG to stop twisting the words of the Rutland corporation to fit his argument.

Everyone should, as whiz says, educate themselves and make a decision that they are comfortable with. I just find it funny that the information available shows that nomex has more potential dangers and warnings associated with it, but no one ever claims there are hazards involved in using that particular solution.
  • Unknown
    Options
    it does seem as though Rutland doesn't have an interest in testing for food safety, although I'm not sure why, if it turns out testing proves its safe, they could sell more of the stuff; however, "no lawsuit liability"? Are you suggesting that if they tested and found out it is unsafe for application on the egg somehow that would open the door for liability? That would only be so if they did the testing, found out it was unsafe, then advertized it as safe... if they continue to maintain its only application is its original application and should not be used for food, there is no liability if some numbnut injures or kills him/herself while cooking/eating a fatty on the Rutlanded Egg
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I'd guess the lawsuit would be against someone selling the Rutland to be used on the food cooker without knowing the true safety issues involved (good or bad). Rutland would be disengaged at that point with their present stance of not needing to know the food safety issues.

Over the past few years of listening to this same argument, I'm finding that fiberglass fibers around your food tends make people "Cranky" when discussing it. But you still seem to be full of life. Just my observation...still studying you guinea pigs from a distance.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I try to make it a point never to be cranky. Ok, well, never let it show.... :woohoo:
    The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Just as people suggesting it causes birth defects are likely not very critical in their thinking
    Options
    People eating high fat diets talking about things being unhealthy

that's rich.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    We do have choices to make, don't we.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Well I'm not planning on having anymore baby's so I guess I'm safe to put the rutland on the mini :huh: I have it on the other eggs and don't see the problem based on everything I've read unless I'm making a rutland sandwich with the leftover. I wonder if it's safe to use as a seal on my coffin when I die, with all the reading I didn't see where it was approved for caskets :whistle:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Jeff, that was told to me by John at BGE and it is not something I would even think of making up. From some of the posts over the years and posts on non BGE sites it seems like the comment to me was denied. However, what I said was is what was told to me.

What I have ever posted regarding Rutland is what was told to me by what I have thought credible sources.

You and others may think it's funny or enjoyable to be demeaning, I don't appreciate your insults.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

My original comment above "is not designed or safe for use around food". I guess there is a problem with me taking the leap that fiberglass "is not safe" for use around food.

I respect your comments, stike's comments and an "hand full of others", however, I am not sure if there is or is not any more experience or knowledge more or less than Bobby or Fred or BGE Service.

I don't know any of these people personally and maybe I am too gullible, however, I am hard pressed to think BGE (John, Bobby, Bruce) or Fred would lie or mis-lead with their comments.

Fred is a very good marketer, however, I don't think he would go to the extent of lying as to what Rutland stressed to him and that he repeated in his post about. I believe I put a link to his comments above also.

There was a post earlier today about BGE not recommending Nomex, it would be interesting to know if that is factual. In early 2008 I was told, BGE was working on a new/another material other than Nomex which was supposed to resolve the gasket issue once and for all. I hadn't heard anything since that time, nor have I inquired.

Kent
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Kent,

Did you quote Fred in the second person. That is what I meant. It is OK to be an authourity on most things but I really think you need to deal with facts.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON