Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex vs Aramid

Options
cookingdude555
cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know many out there don't care about gaskets, so I have some interesting info for those that do. A few months ago someone posted about some Aramid gasket material (generic nomex). They seemed to have good results. Hopefully that person will see this and chime in with how it's holding up. I placed an order and received it today. I decided to do a flame test, and held the same size of nomex and aramid in front of my weed burner on a low flame for thirty seconds each. Neither held up well at all, but the nomex looked somewhat like a gasket, the aramid shriveled pretty fast and had noticeable shrinking. This may be somewhat unfair since the aramid did not go through a shrink cycle in the dryer for 30 minutes like the nomex did. Anyway, here is the pic of the results (hope my iPhone pic and upload worked... ):

52ec596b.jpg

I will still give it a go on one of my eggs to see what happens, but I thought it was interesting and would pass it on to those considering this material.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Which aramid are you using? Nomex is an aramid, as is Kevlar and a number of other materials.

Oops, just reread your post. Apparently you are using a generic brand of Nomex, vs. DuPont Nomex? Is there any reason to suspect they will differ in performance?

Thanks!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    Greetings,
    I was just told the other day by my dealer that BGE has banned the use of Nomex or Rutland as replacement gaskets to be sold by the dealers and that it will nullify the warranty. Anyone else have any input on this? I don't really see the need for a gasket on any of my three eggs but just wondering.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Slotmercenary wrote:
    Greetings,
    I was just told the other day by my dealer that BGE has banned the use of Nomex or Rutland as replacement gaskets to be sold by the dealers and that it will nullify the warranty. Anyone else have any input on this? I don't really see the need for a gasket on any of my three eggs but just wondering.

Sounds like a dealer making something up. I got my nomex directly from bge.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    The Naked Whiz wrote:
    Which aramid are you using? Nomex is an aramid, as is Kevlar and a number of other materials.

Oops, just reread your post. Apparently you are using a generic brand of Nomex, vs. DuPont Nomex? Is there any reason to suspect they will differ in performance?

Thanks!

I got mine from here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/?m=true#aramid-fabric-strips/=7qr9lo

I got 50' of the .125 thick aramid strip. It was not the fiberglass (Kevlar) strip.
  • MJF24
    MJF24 Posts: 146
    Options
    I got a Nomex direclty from BGE a few weeks ago, so I doubt they're banning it.
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    The mothership just sent me a nomex gasket for my large no more that a couple of weeks ago and they didn't even charge for it.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    cookingdude555 wrote:
    The Naked Whiz wrote:

Thanks!

I got mine from here:

http://www.mcmaster.com/?m=true#aramid-fabric-strips/=7qr9lo

I got 50' of the .125 thick aramid strip. It was not the fiberglass (Kevlar) strip.
    One inch or two? stock number? I am on the road Thanks :)
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    8796K52, 1" wide. With shipping, 50' cost me about $28.