Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EGGCITED

Options
Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi! After 10 years of wanting a BGE, I received one yesterday as a gift from a friend. Any advice from all of you experts on my first *fire up*????

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Sandi,[p]Welcome to the forum and family. Our brother Tim M has put together a very comprehensive site to help new owners get the most out of ceramic cooking. Check it out and give us a yell if you have any questions.[p]K~G[p]
    [ul][li]The Tim M site[/ul]
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Sandi,[p]Try something easy like chicken breasts or pork chops. You'll go through the normal temperature regulation issues, i.e. learning how to set the egg at different temperatures. Once you learn this (it takes a couple of cooks only) you'll be ready to try a bit more extravagant cooks. I would recommend chicken breasts or parts with a nice barbecue rub on them, cooked direct on the grill. Nice crispy skin and wonderfully moist meat. Good luck, holler back often and welcome to the forum, a better group of people will be difficult to find.[p]Troy
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Sandi,
    Welcome. As I recall, my BGE christening meal was a nice ribeye steak. They're easy, fast, and you don't have to worry about controlling the temp. Just open Humpty up as wide as possible and throw those babies on. Sear at high temp 1-3 minutes on each side then close up the egg for an additional 5-8 minutes (depends on your cooking preference). I like mustard-rubbed steaks. Melt in your mouth!
    Let us know what you decide.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Sandi,
    Howdy, and welcome. Congrats on your new magic cooking tool![p]Good suggestions already. My buddy, who bought an egg at the eggfest cooked pork tenderloins on his first go. Cook direct over the coals at 350 or so, turning every 15 minutes. Check the internal temp, and pull at 145-150 for fork tender wonderfullness. Pretty simple, and hard to beat.[p]Have fun!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Sandi, Welcome aboard, and lots of great tips already. I liked the Ribeye one..:-) Stay loose and easy for a while and the BGE will teach you its ways. Avoid the "old gassy" or briquett methods as lump charcoal/ceramics is a new ballpark for you. The best in the country..IMHO!![p]Cheers,,, C~W[p][p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Sandi,[p]Yea, fire up your friend first - then the Egg. The other way burns food sometimes. [p]Enjoy both!!!!!!!!!!!!![p]Tim
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Sandi,[p]Welcome to the family and forum. My first cook was steak and I was very pleased (they have improved greatly since then:)). Your Egg cooks a little differently than anything you've used. All cooking is done with the dome closed. Timing the cook and monitoring the internal temp for doneness are the two most popular methods of knowing when the meal is done.[p]I'd suggest a meal that you are comfortable with preparing on your last grill. Cook it in your Egg to get a comparison. Give a holler here if you have any questions.[p]Definitely invite your friend over. [p]Spin