Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig

bama_egg
bama_egg Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about getting an Adjustable Rig & Oval Grid Combo with Spider.... Is it worth it? What are the advantages of it?

Comments

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    i can't tell you the advantages, but i can tell you i love mine. i bought that and an 18" cast iron (justified that because i have a small bge) and i think it's perfect. i've used it all so far. posted pictures in new threads in the past couple days if you want to check it out.

i'd highly recommend it. i can't think of a better set-up.
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    It's the single most important accessory in my opinion. There are so man options when u have the rig combo. I usually have a 2 tier setup going or I like using it for pizzas.
  • bama_egg
    bama_egg Posts: 9
    Can you have butts on one level and ribs on another? Just trying to get a understanding of how it works.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Worth every penny. Also look at the 16 or 13 1/2 inch drip pans. Great products and service.
  • mnwalleye
    mnwalleye Posts: 226
    I agree. The only time it comes out of my egg is when I'm grilling steaks otherwise I cook everything raised. I got the round pan to so thats what I use for in direct cooking now. Worth every penny!
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    bama_egg wrote:
    Can you have butts on one level and ribs on another? Just trying to get a understanding of how it works.

Generally yes. Ya can add a rib rack at a grid in the lowest level and can set the original bge grid on top of the rig. And on this grid fits 3 butts.

Other set ups with bones / butts are also possible.

To the general question:

Yes, imho a large egg is only half worth w/o the rig, diverse grids and ideally the spider/stone + extender.
    Buy the CGS stuff, best spend money ever, after the egg ;)
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    feel free to call me if you like, I make the stuff. number is on our website.

And, thanks to ya'll for the wonderful comments.

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • I picked mine up a few weeks ago, and I love it so far. Check out the pages on Tom's site - they do a great job of explaining all the possible combinations.

In terms of the advantages, here are some I've discovered so far. I'm sure those who have had an AR for a while will chime in with more.

1) Changing the temperature of the cook without waiting. By searing close to the coals on the spider and CI grid, and then moving higher in the dome on the AR, you can TRex a steak or make other dishes that require a high temp sear followed by a slower roast without having to wait for the temperature of the Egg to drop. This also means you can sear without having to get your Egg up to 700+ dome temp, saving time, lump, your gasket, and the hair on your arms. Here's a post I made a couple of weeks ago showing how I cooked some honey-glazed lamb chops using the AR and this method... http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=911613&catid=1

2) Increased capacity. This is probably the most obvious use, but by adding more grids, you can cook more food at once. I purchased a setup to do three levels with sliding grids, but haven't needed to use that much yet. I did do four whole chickens on two levels this past weekend though, as shown in this post... http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=913917&catid=1

3) Flexibility in setup. Because you can position any combination of indirect barrier (stone), drip pans, and grids at various levels, you get a lot more flexibility than you do with just a plate setter. For example, you can slide a drip pan under a cook after cooking direct for a while, turning it into an indirect cook without needing to take everything out of the Egg to do so. Likewise, depending on how you configure your indirect setup, you can get easy access to the lump to add more smoking wood during the cook, which I always thought was a pain with the plate setter.

4) Cooking higher in the dome. With the AR and the rig extender, you can get your food at or above the felt line easily. I've made some breads with the grid on top of the AR and the stone on the grid, and they came out better than when I used to cook them on the plate setter, with a crispier crust and a chewier interior.

My $.02

-John
  • CaCook
    CaCook Posts: 68
    I am new and already bought the official plate setter. quite pricey..

Now I looking at more tiers and space..

Is it possible to use parts of adjustable rig with the plate setter together for indirect?

If I get a ceramic stone for indirect does the plate setter become useless for anything else?
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    :P you make it easy for us to brag about your work Tom B) you make the eggs even better!!