Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is cast iron pizza pan OK?

CaCook
CaCook Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a lodge (cast iron) 14" pizza pan and I found it fits even with the handles on the BGE on top of plate setter.

Is this OK to use (I have had results with this pan in electric oven and gas grill as long as I take care not to heat up the bottom too much direct fire..
I do not want to buy a ceramic stone if I can help it, but seems like everyone is using ceramic stone for pizza.

But I think I need a couple of 1" thick fire bricks to shim up above the plate setter if I want grab the pan handle out of there easier.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Don't know about the CI pizza pan, but do you have some BGE ceramic feet to use as a shim? If not, get a fire brick and wet tile saw and cut your shims. I use 1/2' copper pipe elbows to keep things off the plate setter. $.75 or so each any hardware store.
  • Badmonkey
    Badmonkey Posts: 2
    I emailed Lodge about their cast iron pizza pan last week and was told it would be ok for use in the BGE.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    I have one and the only problem I have found is that it will heat up after a while. If I'm only doing a single pizza it works fine but if I want to do a series of pizzas, it overcooks the bottom. I have only used it on top of the EGgsetter and not on spaces above the EGGsetter so I would be interested in what you find.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    It's fine to use. Any cast iron pan is fine to use.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    I am using one for pizzas and it works fine. Yes, use spacers to get it up off the plate setter. It is also a great griddle. A few eggs, bacon, hash browns, and even toast your bread.
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    I would position the platesetter legs up and put a grill rack on top of the legs. Then use the CI pan just like you do in the oven. This is how we use the regular pizza stone. I don't ever remember cooking with the legs of the platesetter tuned down.

Poppasam
  • CaCook
    CaCook Posts: 68
    Hi, would you put the raw pizza on the cold CI pan,

or

preheat it inside to desired temp then slide the pizza on with a peel? (this way seem like it may become too hot on the bottom)

I have always done it the first way in the kitchen oven.
  • Geoduck
    Geoduck Posts: 76
    This is the voice of INexperience speaking... Think of how hot pizza ovens are when they slide the new baby in with a peel. Seems logical to preheat the CI pan especially if you like a crisp crust. I'm drooling!