Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fourth of July - What to cook?

Options
Achate
Achate Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So as you know, I've had the egg two weeks now. Of course I got selected (and volunteered) to cook for our neighborhood 4th of July celebration. I'm guessing 20 - 25 adults, and some kids.

Should I try a brisket? Or stick with a pulled pork? I haven't done either yet, but frankly I'm scarred of the brisket as so many people say its hard to cook!

Maybe ribs?

Oh I know - forget it all and do a 100 chicken wings!

Ok, really, please tell me your thoughts on the brisket vs. pulled pork.

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Pulled pork will be a big hit. Two 7-9 pound bone in butts will be plenty. Do a few dogs for the little ones. Have someone bring the slaw and someone else bring the buns. Have a "vinegary" type of sauce as well as a traditional tomato based sauce. Then get a couple volunteers for dessert - you are all set. B)

Good luck with it - break a leg.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Go for the pulled pork! It is easy, and very forgiving! Three butts will fit easily...(large egg, right?) But for 25 people, two will suffice with sides. It will be the best BBQ your neighbors have had, and you will be a star. :) Brisket it one of the LEAST forgiving cooks. I don't recommend your first time for guests, for sure!!
    And plan it so you take the pork off a couple hours before the party, you can still do 100 wings and a bunch of dogs for the kids....still on the same load of lump!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    if you have a raised grid or can set one up, i would go two butts over a brisket ;) if the brisket doesnt come out satisfactory you atleast have the pulled pork to fall back on :) its pretty much the same cook, why not get some brisket practice, worst that happens is it gets dry or tough, then you chop it up and finish the cook in some sauce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Well said B) ...

In Alabama we have potato salad and baked beans for sides usually. I have no complaints with slaw either ;)
    Open face plate for me with some Barbeque bread MMMMM.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Don't be afraid of brisket it is not that it is gonna bite u besides there r alot of eggers to give u advice as u go that's the way we all started