Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

reduce temperature on egg

pgf
pgf Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After a high heat sear 650 what is the best way to get the egg down to 350?

Comments

• Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    I always close down the vents to almost closed and it goes down fairly quick. I'm sure more experience guys have better ways. :)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    close the vents and wait...that's about it.

Of course, don't let it pre-heat long and that helps. I usually get my fire going and sear steaks/chops with the dome open and the temps drop quickly when I shut the vents and the dome.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Put the green ceramic cap on top, close the bottom vent completely. In 20 minutes, you'll be down to 400° or so. Careful when you open the dome though. Best to open top and bottom a bit before you open the dome. :)

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm#movie

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgf
    pgf Posts: 14
    I think that I had the lid down too long heating up and that is the problem.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    You can add the platesetter,it will absorb a lotta heat quickly.For steaks,I sear hi heat,remove,add platesetter and roast til it hits desired internal temp.Just a thought.Works for me. :)
  • BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    If you do a lot of steak, I would recommend obtaining a spider or triangle hanger that would allow you to put a 2nd (CI) grid just an inch or two above the coals. Then you don't *need* to get the egg to super-nova temps to do your sear. Just sear, then move your steak to the upper grid to finish.

Don
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Simple. Close the vents and wait.
  • I recently overshot my target temperature by 200 degrees. Was stressing out due to the need to get food cooking by a certain time to make sure guests could eat on time.

I threw a couple fire bricks into the egg, this had a dramatic effect. I'd say because the bricks had been wet from rain, this absorbed a whole lot of the heat and energy in the egg. Coupled with closing vents, ready to go in 30 mins.
  • CaCook
    CaCook Posts: 68
    I was told to just sear with the grill on top of the chimney starter and then foil your steak, throw the charcoal in the BGE and wait for 400 finish temp.

I think it maybe more convenient using a steel grill for steaks and move the charcoal distance or away from the steaks as needed..
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Don....Thank you! B) I truly am not on board with all this nuke searing, but to each their own. Your method is reasonable, and makes sense. Good input. B)
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Umm, that's one of the things a second egg is good for.