Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokin my first pork butt

poolguy
poolguy Posts: 129
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Trying my first butt this weekend. What size do I need for about 20 and have some leftovers. would 15 lbs be enough?
Any tips would be greatfull.
Thanks in advance

Larry

Comments

• Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    I'm not sure but I would thinks so. I just did 16#s and it's a lot of meat. Have fun, they are a cook and fun to do. Very easy cook :) Good luck
  • pissclams
    pissclams Posts: 49
    poolguy wrote:
    Trying my first butt this weekend. What size do I need for about 20 and have some leftovers. would 15 lbs be enough?
    Any tips would be greatfull.
    Thanks in advance

Larry

Read and re-read the Naked Whiz's pork butt walk through, then read it again. ;)http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pullpork.htm

What's going on with the KC Eggfest? Last I heard the location fell through but something else was being arranged?
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    My calculation says you only need 9 pounds raw to feed 20. If you cook two 7 pounders you will have plenty with lots of leftovers. Butts typicaly run in the 6 to 9 pound range in most grocery stores. Every once in a while you will come across a 10 pounder. Good luck and make sure to calibrate your dome thermo before you start and keep the dome temp at 250 at least.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    I think Larry ran into way too much city hall red tape and just couldn't get it to fly! Damn, that would have been close too! :sick::angry:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    My invitation must have got lost in the mail, eh? :lol: :silly: :evil:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    Thanks for the input on the butt.

City just had to many rules and we could not get it worked out. they wanted permits for every cook. way to much bull to go through. but we have a plan already going in place for next year. thats all I can say

Thanks