Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

AMRA Summer Shoot Out Bowling Green, Ky pic heavy

Options
2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I went to Beach Bend Park on Sunday for several reasons. Mostly because an old friend was there tuning for his friends. His name is Willie Herschberger and not long ago he was racing down the track in some other town and something about his battery wedged his back wheel. He wrecked and was medi-vac to the Hospital. His injuries were mostly to his hands. Needless to say he had some follow up surgery and is on the mend and back to work in the framing construction field with limitations. Good thing he is the owner. To top it all off Willie has been looking into purchasing a BGE so guess what I talk about to him. ;)

Willie has been riding Harleys for a number of years it goes back to the middle "70's" and we have known each other that long as well. Long story short Willie builds Harley drag bikes and races and sells them as a side line to his real life job. He was on a fuel injected nitro-methane 1000 hp 190 inches drag bike capable of 200mph when he crashed. So, on Sunday we were welcomed into the pits with open arms by him and all his friends. Keep in mind Willie is not racing he is helping his friends race. Here are some pic's.

Here is Willie on the far right his brother Vern standing next to him and Willies fiance on the far left in black pants. In between them is Scotty whose pit we were in all day to willies left and on the other side is their engine builder.

000_2174.jpg

Here is one of those top fuel racing bikes I was telling you about. This bike is new and had a lot had a lot of troubles this weekend.

000_2176.jpg

000_2177.jpg

000_2163.jpg

000_2156.jpg

000_2152.jpg

000_2154.jpg

000_2150.jpg

Here at the end of the day we cot to see him go down the track. Unfortunately I had camera troubles so I did not get the burn out or the run down the track.

000_2186.jpg

000_2187.jpg

000_2189.jpg

000_2188.jpg

Now in the same pit is the owners other older bike. This is a carburetor nitro-methane bike about 400 horses and around 130 inches. This is a bike Willie built and sold several years back to this person.

000_2149.jpg

000_2162.jpg

000_2167.jpg

000_2180.jpg

Here is the motor home rig that they live in and go down the road in. Also, are the pit bikes to tow and haul everyone to the track.

000_2166.jpg

Here is the truck and shop trailer.

000_2165.jpg

Now this is a father and son outfit the son has the old motor coach and pit trailer. The father has two bikes with the extra driver. The son has three or four bikes in his pit each bike have a driver and they all work the pits.

000_2164.jpg

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

WOW! No wonder I feel safer riding my '93 Honda Civic! Glad your buddy survived his crash, that's a scary thought. Looks like a great weekend to have been in Bowling Green. Great photos, Beech Bend looks like a great park. Thanks for sharing.

Gator

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks Gator, I am no photographer but, i'm not skeered to take a pic of two and like you I delete some of the worser ones. :lol:

It was a very hot day. Before we left I put 15 bottles of water in my left saddle bag and a total of three bags of ice. Needless to say we drank a lot of water.

The park also has camping available and there is a separate water park and an old style wooden roll a coaster.

Time will tell with Willie. He is not healed up yet but he has no grip with either hand. It could have been worse but, but he is a very determined person. Tim
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Oh, that's hot **** Tim!! I've been to many of those races over the years! Purdy machines too!!
    Thanks for sharing man!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    You got it Molly. Thanks for lookin. Tim :)
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Man its been 3 years since I was over in Enus TX for the AHDRA Spring runs. Sure do miss them even more thanks to your pics! The smell of that super gas or that "tat" tat" "tat" of the top fuels has to be experienced in person. Last time I was there I meet the guy who did some machine work on my pistons for the bike I ride now. Out of Latus Racing and he does most of the teams wrenching and tuning. Small world. I love me some horse power!!! Been planing for our big trip hear the end of next month to Colorada. Looking like about 3200 miles in 9 days. I'm so ready!! Got new battery ordered and of course replaced stator/roter/voltage reg/ starter rebuilt this Spring. Also ordered a new set of Pereli Night Dragons. Running one on the rear now. Get pretty good milage from it and the thing is like glue. Seriously I have to pull an extra 3 to 5 hundred to break the back loose with it which really helps the confidence powering out of tight curves. Also ordered new saddle bags.http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=239_254_258_287&products_id=5161 Just got little Willie Max ones using Easy Brackets now. Need more space for cold gear on this run so will swap the Easy Brackets.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    My friend Willie races the AHDRA circuit. He was at this AMRA event supporting his friends. Of course it will be some time before he can hang on to a bike. He has no grip due to his recent accident. I had to open his water bottles. You may have seen him race in the past.

I don't see a bike trip in my future. Maybe someday. Don't think I haven't been dreaming about it. I can't wait to hear about your trip some more. Thanks for checking it out. Tim