Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Bricks - What are they?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've read a number of postings where BGEer's are using bricks inside their Eggs. What type of bricks are they, how are they used, and what's their purpose.[p]Thanks for the info.

Comments

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    NEWBGE,
    Essentially, they are kiln bricks used to increase the ceramic mass between the coals and the food. They help to deflect and shield the food from direct heat. Fire bricks are available from any brick supplier.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    brick.jpg
    <p />NEWBGE,[p]A firebrick is a ceramic brick made for the lining of metal stoves or fireplaces. They line them to prevent the sides from burning walss, drywall, etc. They are not easy to find and 9999.99% of all national chain hardwares DON'T carry them. Check fireplace stores, stove or BBQ stores or brickyards. [p]The firebricks do several things in the Egg. Often they only support a second grid to cook on. By raising the level for a second grid, you create a space under the top grid and above the lower grid where you can add more firebricks or a drip pan or both. By adding ceramic you change the cooking method from direct to indirect heating. You're blocking the infrared radiation and making the Egg more "oven" like. Adding ceramic allows higher cooking temps with less chance of burning or drying out your meal.[p]The oic below is from the MSC pictures section of my website. Follow the link to my website and look under the drop down menus under pork - then look for cooks that feature firebricks, there are several. I use the plate setter now as its just more convenient than 5 fire bricks - they do the same thing.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]-- Tim's BGE site --[/ul]
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Tim M,[p]OK Tim, what gives, whats your secret. I was thinking of this picture the other day when I was cooking some salmon that your bricks are MUCH cleaner than mine. I have six of them, two large and 4 small, and ALL of them are covered with black soot. How do you keep yours so clean? Or are these used once or twice, then you took the picture, and yours now look like mine? Just curious if you burn them off occasionally? Not at all important but inquiring minds want to know.[p]Troy
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    sprinter,
    My bricks were black as well until I used them to prop up my pizza stone...the 500-600 temps clean them off nicely.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    bdavidson,[p]I thought that may be the case, nothing I've ever worried about though. Tim's picture just made me think a bit. My bricks mainly get used for lower and slower cooks or to raise my grill level a bit. Have not made a pizza in weeks, maybe its time.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    sprinter, all good posts. I was going to make a suggestive post about BGE maintenance, and this was part of it. :-)[p]I just went thru a high temperature cleaning and I brushed down all my grill surfaces over hot coals. (700f) Then set all my firebricks on edge and the grills on top and closed the dome. Let it run for about 15 minutes, and then shut it down.
    Which leads me to another hint and I will post that one.[p]Cheers..C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    sprinter,[p]Even simplier answer than that -- I took that picture 1.5 years ago when I got those bricks. That was after 2-4 uses. Today they are black.[p]Tim