Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak is OK?

Options
CaCook
CaCook Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was able to find Royal Oak in walmart less than I think approx $6.70 per 10 pound bag, is that a good price and good charcoal?

Does Walmart stock this year round in CA or will I need to buy lots before winter time?

Comments

• foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    Options
    It is my favorite lump and yes I have been able to find it there year round. There was someone posting that Wals Mart was not going to be stocking it any longer, but my store just got a new shipment in since that posting. I like it better than Frontier and Cowboy lump.
    Just make sure it is in the red bag and made in USA.

john
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    It is good charcoal, that is the typical price for it at WM across the nation.

Some WM carry it year round, others seasonally, and others not at all.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    our walmart does not stock it all year. we used to go to resturant depot to get RO. but they have been carring the south american version of RO and the south american stuff is absolutly terrible..

i use RO always

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yes to questions 1 and 2. No idea when they sell in CA though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CaCook
    Options
    My dealer said Royal Oak is made out of oak?

From my own research cowboy is made of scrap furniture and crown moldings, etc. And also the construction debris that nakedwhiz page show a while back scared me a bit.

I don't know about the frontier brand recently Lowes changed to carry, they ditched cowboy.

Therefore I would like to use RO (yes red and made in USA)
    I think I am going to grab many more bags!
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I buy it 6 bags at a time, just about Thanksgiving time Walmart here in socal moves everything for the outdoors out of the area, including the RO lump, they do keep a pallet of Kingsford, but RO is history till about January, then it comes back, buy about 10 bags before the holidays and you will be fine.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    As long as it is made in the USA it's good. The Royal Oak I get from the super store is USA made and works just fine for me. It comes in a red bag.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I have always used Ozark Oak, because it is carried by my BGE dealer, and they have been very good to me. Of course, buying from a boutique shop I pay more. So,I bought and used my first bag of Royal Oak this weekend from Wal Mart (American version). Both Ozark Oak and Royal Oak are "highly recommended" by the Naked Whiz.

I will say that RO did not have as many big pieces as Ozark. I don't know how much difference it makes. Can't honestly say I could tell any other difference, in how it lit, burned, or ash production. I will probably go back and forth - to WalMart when I want to save a few bucks and to my BGE dealer when I want to visit with them or look for some other gadget/eggcessory.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Where I live, there is no RO after October.

Have no idea if RO is all oak, but my last 2 bags had plenty of partially charcoaled sticks/chunks. RO makes lump for several brands, BGE included. The BGE lump, from what little I had of it, is clean and large RO.

I would not, at this point, worry about Cowboy being made from furniture drops. The wood is most likely well seasoned, and not treated.

Altho I will buy Frontier, what I have had so far is only good for low temperature cooks. Above 350, what I have hade sends up clouds of sparks, and will cover a meal with soot. If I have it, I place it at the bottom of the lump pile, and put something less likely to pop above it, thus surpressing the sparks.

Hunting for lump is an Egger sport. If you find an odd brand, grab a bag, and try it.
  • Mazzdog
    Mazzdog Posts: 44
    Options
    that's about what i paid here... they only had a couple bags so i bought them... went back in a week later and there was a palette sitting there... It's the same (or very close to) the BGE charcoal... check out the naked whiz's site. he compares a bunch of the other charcoals.. I tried cowboy but didn't like it at all.. someone else on here says it's what they use mostly...
  • CaCook
    Options
    Oh, one more question, how much should I fill up the fire bowl (large BGE).. flush with bowl top?

Thanks
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    At least above the holes. On a butt cook I fill it past the fire ring. If I'm going to grill something and have used in there I will light it and grill with it then maybe do a clean burn. It just depends. Tim ;)
  • LoProRedneck
    Options
    I use Full Circle which may be made by RoyalOak according to Naked Whiz. My local IGA carries it for $4.79 / 8.8 lbs and I like it better than anything I've used. The size distribution is always a surprise though. I've burned about six bags and have found some with mostly small pieces and a good bit of dust, while others will be full of pieces so large you have to break them up.
  • smoker62
    smoker62 Posts: 80
    Options
    I use Royal Oak Steakhouse and have no issues with it. It is 3.97 for an 8.8# bag at my local Menards. Green Bag made in USA. I cant imagine how the red bag RO is far superior than this one as previously posted. I did find a liquor store in the middle of no where central WI with Ozark Oak . I bought 2 bags at 6.97 for 10#. If I like it better , a local to the area trucker brings back pallets when he drops his load in Arkansas. I may just buy a skid. Any N IL or SE WI want to get in on this? :whistle: