Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transition Issues with Smoking

Options
gsmith_75019
gsmith_75019 Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need help getting more smoke into large cuts...

Have been smoking briskets, ribs, butts, etc for about years on a barrel smoker. Got a large BGE in the spring and have been practicing/smoking on it every weekend for the last few months. I have the temp maintenance down pretty well (but still want a DigiQ, cause why not), and meats come out great minus the smoke flavor I am accustom to getting from old smoker. This hasn't been that big an issue on ribs or butts, but really was disappointed with brisket. Texture and smoke ring are there, but need more smoke flavor. BTW, love not having to tend a fire every hour. BGE rocks.

I have been using Hickory chips soaked before cooking, and have also used Pecan (my fav) chunks. I use a Solo 16 oz cup of chips and several chunks. Is there a placement problem here? Even on a 12+ hour cook, the chunks don't burn away. Maybe I need to get fresh chips or something…

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    soaking the chips doesnt seem to do anything when using an egg, use them dry and mix them down into the lump, down about six or so inches, they will be smoking later in the cook to help maximize smoke time. chunks i spread out on top. ill even add a hint of mesquite to the hickory and cherry i like to use if its for me, doesnt take much mesquite to pick up the smoke flavor, you just have to be very careful with it and not add too much
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    You might try some oak. A local store began carrying bags labeled "Texas oak." I don't know if it is post-oak, but it is easily twice as pungent as hickory.

For heavier smoke flavor with other woods, I try to use the biggest chunks I can find. It seems that the slow roasting a big hunk is good for wood as well as meat.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    You didn't say at what temp you cook the brisket. Something to consider is that meat will only absorb smoke into it until it hits a certain temp. A hotter cooking temp will shorten the amount of time the meat will absorb the smoke. On a brisket you might consider a lower temp for the first couple of hours and then bump it up.
  • smokingdoc
    Options
    I store fresh cut Hickory and other woods in the deep freeze. I think most flavor is in the sap, and it sure makes for thick smoke.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    The DigiQ is my 2nd favorite acc second only to the turbograte.
  • gsmith_75019
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, am going to try to mix stuff together throughout this weekend and give brisket another go. And good tip on the mesquite, too harsh in the past. But will give it a try. Also will refresh supply to get "fresher" wood.

For reference, I usually smoke at around 250, would like to go at 225, but have a hard time maintaining that temp. Butts and briskets are on over 12-15 hours to get to 190.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    place them in a column in the center, up and down. no spirals, no spreading out across the top, but in a stack of lump and chips (or chunks) in the middle.

soaking isn't required in a egg, and chips are fine.

the fire nurns down mostly, and will find fresh smoke wood if you put it in the path of the fire
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    smoke will flavor the meat nom matter what the temp of the meat is. it is only the smoke RING which stops forming at a temp of 140 (meat temp, and not internal temp, but the temp where the smoke ring forms).

smoke would still flavor meat even if you cooked the meat in the microwave and only tossed it on for a few minutes of smoking. not that anyone would want to do that, of course :laugh: