Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

crash and burn on 1st pizza attempt

Memphistide
Memphistide Posts: 207
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
WOW. I was a fairly experienced cook/smoker, far before I went ceramic. However, I have officially met my match. This crust was made from scratch by a local pizzeria and stretched to size. I brushed with olive oil and coated w/ shredded mozz cheese (simple first pizza). I turned the plate setter legs down, used the egg "feet" under my cornmeal dusted stone and cooked at 500-550 for 25 min.....WOW was this baby well done. Shockingly, the only presentable part was the bottom, which looked great. Anyone got some tips to help a man out? I figure I will start with a shorter cook time, but keeping the 500 deg....thoughts?

2ludmxe.jpg

Comments

• Definitely try again, egg pizzas are great. My pies have cooked at about your temps, same setup, in maybe 10 minutes. Fred's Music & BBQ has a video, he recommends checking on them every few minutes.
  • Exactly. I cook my pizzas at 550 using the setup you described, but for 8-10 minutes. I'm surprised there was anything left at all after 25.

-John
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Memphistide,

My guess is that you didn't leave the platesetter and stone in long enough to completely heat through. That is a lot of mass that has to get to temp.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Wow, about 15 mins too long. Bubba Tim may even give you an award! :laugh:
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    oh too long, unless it was frozen.... 10 minutes max
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i predict the second attempt will be better :laugh: :laugh: ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Wow is right! I've only had a couple of bad experiences cooking on the egg and usually adult beverages were mostly to blame. :woohoo: Care to fess up Memphistide? :laugh: :evil:

Seriously though, if you put the platesetter and pizza stone in right before you put the pizza on, those are the results you would get, plus cooking too long. Check the calibration of your dome thermo too just to make sure you weren't cooking at 600 or 650.

Better luck on the next try,

Mark
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    The adjustable lid should be wide open and you can look in, with a flashlight, and see progress.
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    It actually looks like you were in pretty good shape up until the fiery end. Your crust looks well formed. Stay with your temps. Give your egg at least 45 minutes of warm up to get everything uniformly hot. Of course drop your cooking time down. And here is a hint.

DO NOT LOOK DOWN THE CHIMNEY to see how its doing. Singed eyebrows are a direct result of that.

Kevin
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Lucky Duck just cooked pizzas all day long at the Eggs by the Bay Eggfest and had no problem at 500 degrees cooking them for 8-12 min using your setup. Just be sure to get the system stabilized for 45 min to an hour before you start.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I look down the hole every time I cook pizza. How else are you going to see how it's doing? With the plate setter in there, I figure it's semi safe. So far so good.

I never use the DFMT on pizza - it just gets in the way. Control temp with bottom vent only. It works fine. In fact, the only time I use the metal top any more is for lo n slo cooks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Memphistide: I think you will be hearing from Bubba Tim soon. Would you like to be a member of his "Burnt Offerings" section of his website? :laugh:

www.bubbatim.com

No need to fear...you'd be in good company in there! :laugh: (right Mainegg? :whistle: )
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    I would love to give you, a Bubba Tim's Burnt Offering Award. These are the posted rules:

Three simple rules:

1st: MUST be self nominated

2nd: You must have over 500 posts. (This is to show that even Gold eggers, from time to time, ruin their cooks. It io s meant to show newby eggers that no-egger has perfect cooks all the time and for them to keep on eggin!)

3rd: It is all in good clean fun! (we can use some more smiles these days. The world is filled with too much bad news.)

However, You need a few more posts. Sorry about that.

You are in good company to include myself. Keep on Eggin and have fun. Should you have "results" that merit, feel free to nominate yourself. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Burnt_Offerings.php
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • I cook my pizzas at 425 for about 15 mins. Same setup as yours, perfect every time. Cool 'er down a bit.