Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got my first egg, now where to start?

Options
Buckeye Egg
Buckeye Egg Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello egg land,

I just was able to pick up a medium sized egg that was just about new, demo, for a price I could afford.

I did not get any sort of manual and cant wait to get started. What are the essential tools that I need and where do I get started.

Are there some fail safe recipes that are sure to get me moving in the right direction?

Have my lump, my egg, some Jack Chips, and a freezer full of chicken, pork, and a half a cow.

Looking for a few simple ways to get started and will be cooking for myself and my wife.

Comments

• popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    Options
    the egg head forum is your best place to start. look under the search forum to get started. :laugh: if you need help. just ask.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Welcome aboard! Ask the dealer if he has the instructional DVD that you could borrow. If you watch that, it tells you everything you need to know to get started. Then come back here for more advanced tips.

If your dealer is no help, call the mothership and see if they can send you a manual.

In the meantime, here is some very basic info that you might be missing out on without a manual. I apologize if this info is too basic. I just worry that without a manual you might not know anything about cooking on an Egg.

1. Use lump charcoal (not briquettes). It is irregularly shaped pieces of wood that have been burned without oxygen. Your dealer surely sells it. Most large grocery stores will have it also as well as Wal Mart etc.

2. Never use lighter fluid. Use starter cubes or simply take a paper napkin roll it up and put some vegetable oil on it (does not need to be saturated). Do that in two or three places. Close the lid after a few minutes and leave both vents wide open. However, watch it closely as the temps can shoot up real quick. It is very difficult to lower the temp but very easy to raise. Therefore, start closing the vents down well before you hit your target temp.

3. Most people will say it is best to be on the safe side and keep the temps to 400 or below for the first several cooks to avoid burning a gasket. Even if the gasket does burn or slide off it isn't the end of the world. It cooks just fine without the gasket until you get it replaced.

Grandpa's Grub has some great threads of basic info for newbies. You can try the search function. He is on here a lot so, hopefully, he will chime in here shortly.

EDIT: I just saw that you said you have lump so you obviously know about that. I was worried that you might try to use regular charcoal.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Yes, the Naked Whiz site is great. Go to the FAQ section. It is long but if you read through that whole thing you will have the basics down. The site is also loaded with more advanced stuff including recipes.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Buckeye Egg, Welcome to the forum. I put together something that may help you achieve egg temps. Grandpas Grub has put together a lot of links to posts as well. Tim :)

Once you get your reading caught up try a simple cook like a hamburger.

what was YOUR first BGE meal?

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=904232

Dead Simple Spatchcock Chicken
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

FAQ How I stabilize my big green egg

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=907880&catid=1#

Tips, Tricks, and Some Fun Easy Cooks

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=901811&catid=1
  • jball
    jball Posts: 63
    Options
    Welcome to the Family. Try to attend a local Eggfest (see links at top of this forum). You will meet some great people and can try lots of tasty treats. You will be amazed at the versatility of your new Egg. Oh and practice, practice, practice.
  • Buckeye Egg
    Options
    Thanks to you all. I am going to have my first go tonight. You have given me more than enough links and suggestions to get started. Will check back in a few days with a report of what we have been eating.
  • Buckeye Egg
    Options
    Thanks to you all. I am going to have my first go tonight. You have given me more than enough links and suggestions to get started. Will check back in a few days with a report of what we have been eating.
  • Buckeye Egg
    Options