Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Rib disappointment

Options
PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I opened the cryovac sealed beef ribs, and see that most of the meaty meat nuggets have been removed. I have now a bag of bones. Very little meat left. Damm!
It is Excel brand in double slab portions, USDA Choice. Pretty pricey at @$2.38/pound for bones. Really disappointed. But they are now rubbed and waiting for grill to get to temp. I hope I learn to bond with them before serving time.
PattyO

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

As I said in my response to your post below, my first experience was a total failure. The main reason was the ribs had very little meat and they cooked fast and ended up being overdone (my fault).

The second cook was with very meaty ribs and they were fantastic.

Watch the cook closely and don't overcook the meat and you should have a nice meal.

GG
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Unfortunately, often times, meat is packaged so as to hide what is lacking (favorite super-market trick).. I've done beef ribs a few times, but most would have been vulcanized after just a few hours of cooking, no less six. I would suggest that you either get them from a reputable butcher, or, buy a standing roast and trim the ribs to your liking. Happy beef-ribbing!!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    SORRY ABOUT THAT. IF AFTER COOKING THEM YOU ARE NOT HAPPY SAVE AND MAKE SOME STEW OR BEEF BARLEY SOUP. THEY WILL FREEZE FOR A FUTURE COOK.
  • big hound
    big hound Posts: 103
    Options
    I've done a lot of beef ribs over the years. I've learned two things. 1. only buy them when there's a lot of meat on them. 2. buy choice or prime, because select will be too tough.

I do them for about 6 hours, indirect, 250. I do cheat with a drip pan with some beef broth in it.

They always come out great.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Good luck, I rarely ever cook them.

Mike