Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage Stuffed Pork Chops?

Options
MississippiCoastEgg
MississippiCoastEgg Posts: 116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife an I were at the grocery yesterday and I saw some gorgeous sausage a green onion stuffed pork chops (bone in centercut). I just had to try them and will cook them today on the Egg.

Now, any suggestions on time and temps? What internal temp am I looking for with my thermopen? I was thinking around 160 and cooking around 350 indirect or 250 direct, but just guessing...

As always, any suggestions appreciated, I will post some pics this afternoon when I go to cook them, they really are pretty and they are large!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Is the sausage raw or was it precooked?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    In that case you have to cook them until the final temperature of the sausage stuffing is 160°. You can pull the stuffed chops off 5° to 7° early as there will be a rise in internal temp during the rest.

Normally an un-stuffed center cut shop only needs to be cooked to around 145° or 150°, but since they have cut a pocket, then stuffed it with a ground pork mixture that's the part you need to make sure is thoroughly cooked. The upside is you will get some additional flavor from the stuffing, the downside is you may dry out the chop in the process. Now, even if you scooped out the stuffing and cooked it separately, the chop would still need the 160° final temp as the inside of the chop has been exposed to the stuffing, air etc.

A 350° pit temp with indirect set-up would be a good choice for cooking these particular chops. After they develop some color, some options for keeping them moist would be to baste them during the second half of the cook or put them into a shallow pan that you can put a little liquid into to help keep them moist while they finish and the stuffing comes up to temp.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery