Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP - Egg cover won't open!

Nitro882SC
Nitro882SC Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked on it last night and ran fire a little hot to prepare for today. Just tried to open and appears seaeled. Afraid to exert much pressure on the handle or attempt to pry in any fashion. Any ideas?

Comments

• EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    Try to slide a butter knife into an opening and work it all the way around the egg.
  • Alright - has this occurred to you before?
  • EGGRPh
    Yep, I got lucky though. The top opened with a little force. Not much though. It happened to me after I did a burn off (got the egg upto 700 to 750 to clean the egg a little) lost part of my gasket with the high heat. Also search forum for lids stuck and you'll get more answers. Don't panic.
  • This happened to me awhile back, searched posts here and this is what I did.

I used some firestarters and put one through the bottom vent and got one through the upper vent and let the egg heat up and it came open. Don' pull hard on it as you will tear the gasket. I lost a little piece of mine but it has not been a problem.

The search feature here is great and helped me with this problem...
  • EGGRPh
    Butter knife might not fit. Try a putty knife.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Sounds like the gasket adhesive melted, ran and glued the egg halves together. Same thing happened to me a month ago. #1 Do NOT attempt to pry the halves apart. You risk damaging the ceramic. Try working an old table knife between the gaskets. If you try all the way around, you can probably find a spot where it can be slipped in with a moderate amount of pressure. You may be lucky enough to find that the adhesive has melted in only one or two spots or (very lucky) that some grease has burned and caused the problem. I was able to use a breadknife to saw through the burned/stuck gasket material. Yes, it will trash your gasket, if it wasn't already. You can still cook with the egg but it may leak smoke and require longer to snuff the fire. There are many posts on replacing gaskets... run a search. I used Permatex Ultra Copper from an auto parts store. No other gasket material and it has held up so far. You may prefer Nomex, Rutland, or Coltronics. You can use any of these with the Permatex or use one of the other adhesives. The gasket is the Egg's weak spot.
  • Thanks all - butter knife worked but gasket is pretty much toast - brittle and flakes to the touch - still going to "Killer Smoked Pot Roast". Thanks all for the responses.

Greg