Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Concrete Table Top

Options
Reverend BSB
Reverend BSB Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
So after thinking about tiling up the top of my table, or maybe getting a piece of granite to go on it, I decided to make a concrete top, as I can make that cheaply. All I need to to is build the frame, and pour in the crete mixed with some stain. Only thing I need is something round and 19 inches diameter to make the egg hole. So far no luck finding anything. Any ideas?

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Rev,

A few things come to mind.

1. If you have a table saw, you can rip some pine down to about 5/16-3/8" and you should be able to flex that.

2. You can get a plastic corner bead (drywall product) that is designed to finish arches and screw it into your substraight.

3. they make sheetrock 1/4 thick that's made for radius's. Downside to this is you would have to buy a 4x8 sheet. It could also have a problem turning that tight, but can be moistened down a bit to really bend.
  • chrisdove
    chrisdove Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been considering making a concrete countertop for my table for the past couple of weeks. Below is the idea I came up with to make the knockout for the BGE.

- Take 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood cut to the diameter needed and attach them together.

- At your local building supply center they sell 1-1/2" laminate banding to finish off laminate countertop, cost is next to nothing. Attach the banding to the plywood from step 1.

- Attach the knockout completed in step 2 to the form in the desired location of where the grill will sit. Run a bead of silicone around the knockout and form so you do not get concrete leaking under the knockout.

Not sure if this will work or not but I think this is the route I will be taking if/when I do mine, unless I see a better idea here.

Chris
  • BuffaloBrewer
    Options
    big plastic tub?
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I think chrisdove has a pretty good idea of how to do this. The solid plywood circle can be screwed to your bottom form for stability. The banding is a good idea too, but you can probably fill and sand the outside edge smooth enough to not need it. Just wax the finished edge.
    One thing, I noticed you are talking about a 19" circle. I think most reccomend 21" for a large. You don't want it to snug B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • triehle98
    triehle98 Posts: 208
    Options
    I would use high density foam , cut it to size and spray glue it to the form , then pour around it . shouldnt cost you more than 10$ . its the pink insulation that they sell at lowes or home depot.
  • UofMontanaAlum
    Options
    Here is a great DIY write-up on AVS Forum. He uses the pink insulation method described above for holes. I recommend the re-bar as I personally know someone who had a concrete top break.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1151574
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    There's also that flexible landscape edge-band stuff that you can buy @ the big orange store or the big blue store.

However, after checking out the foam idea, I like that!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Eggtoven
    Eggtoven Posts: 2
    Options
    how about some metal lawn edging guards that they sell at diy stores like hd and lowes? you could possibly make a metal diameter out of that.
  • poohbear
    poohbear Posts: 2
    Options
    We build concrete counter tops for some rental property we have and we use the foam works great, tried to layers of plywood but to hard to get out. Go to your builders supply and ask about some damaged sheets they always have those and they sell much cheaper
  • poohbear
    poohbear Posts: 2
    Options
    We build concrete counter tops for some rental property we have and we use the foam works great, tried to layers of plywood but to hard to get out. Go to your builders supply and ask about some damaged sheets they always have those and they sell much cheaper