Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breaking News From Wild West Eggfest

Options
thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wonderful Time Had By All ... Cooks & Guests Give Big Thumbs Up ... Plans Underway For 2nd Annual Event

A big thanks goes out to Lennie and Teneil (PORTERSGIRL), the entire staff at Porter's, all the cooks and especially the visitors for making this a great day.

Our day started off with a slice of Cinnamon Wheel pizza from the Pappa Murphy's Egg. They cooked a variety of pies all day long.

DSC00549a.jpg

DSC00575a.jpg

We were using two Eggs and got fatties on first, then pulled the first half a butt for pork sliders. Pizzas, both traditional and with flour tortilla crusts followed, as did more pulled pork, two sides of planked salmon, flat iron steaks, grilled pineapple and grilled bananas with caramel sauce.

DSC00546a.jpg

DSC00558a.jpg

DSC00559a.jpg

DSC00562a.jpg

DSC00578a.jpg

The other folks cooking had a huge assortment of food from turkeys, brats, flank steak, abt's, grilled veggies, bruschetta, racks upon racks of lamb, and two or three cobblers. With four of us cooking together, we had plenty of time to socialize. Here are highlights from the neighboring cooks and some shots of tent area.

DSC00574a.jpg

DSC00577a.jpg

DSC00566a.jpg

DSC00565a.jpg

DSC00557a.jpg

DSC00552a.jpg

DSC00551a.jpg

Here was my favorite plate of the day.

DSC00569a.jpg

DSC00540a.jpg

DSC00543a.jpg

DSC00541a.jpg

DSC00582a.jpg
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• Uncle Phil
    Uncle Phil Posts: 669
    Options
    Great job. Food looks great.

Uncle Phil
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Looks like ya'll had a great time. All the food looks incredible. :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Wow looks like some really good eats. How many cooks were there? The first fest is always the hardest to pull off but with a second one planned if must have been a success.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Thirdeye...And to think you waited all this time for your first fest?? :huh: Looks like a great time. Who is wearing the "Will sell husband for wine" shirt?? :laugh: A forum member?? That was TOO funny! :laugh: Everything looks fantastic!
  • Blizzard58
    Blizzard58 Posts: 35
    Options
    I gained 10 pounds just looking at the Pics. All were awesome.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Great post Thirdeye! That looks like a great fest, I'm glad to hear it will live on. Congrats to all involved.

Gator

• mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    fun photo story - looks like a great time on the grill - thanks for sharing

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Great pics, Wayne. Thanks for sharing.
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    Options
    WOW, that's all I have to say!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Looks like a beautiful day for the fest, really nice photo's, and no body went hungry... not with you around. :lol: Salmon looks outstanding as does the grilled lamb. :woohoo:
    What...no buckboard bacon? :ohmy: Next year I guess.
    Glad you had a great time.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Great pic's Wayne. It looks like a lot of smiling faces. Tim :)
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Beautiful Wayne, TKS for sharing
  • thirdeye
    Options
    I guess there were about a dozen Eggs cooking, but the actual number of folks doing hands on cooking is hard to say. Maybe 30.

We had 4 in our group and they gave us two Eggs. (plus my Egg at home worked for 17 hours the night before on the shoulder butts) Some groups were larger and did everything on a single Egg.

Lennie, the owner, looked at the Eggfest idea as part of a longer business plan, not a let's try one time and see what happens kind of thing.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    That's Donna. That turkey was one of the best flavored and moistest birds I have ever had. No, not a forum member (yet). In fact only 4 or 5 of the folks I visited with even knew there is an Egghead Forum.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words Clay, the salmon did look and taste great. We put some water in a sheet pan to extinguish the burning plank and served it as-is.

DSC00571a.jpg

The lamb was outstanding and my favorite food of the day. Steve cooked both New Zealand and domestic lamb, the domestic being the favorite. My friend, who happens to be a chef holding paper from the CIA was one of the late guests and he confessed it was some of the finest he has ever had. I thnk lambtastic was the work he used. The marinade has Greek roots, and is a closely held family secret.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks like a good turnout Wayne. All the food looks terrific, everyone brought their game!! That's good!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Molly, that's an understatement.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Nice Wayne, you going to give up the recipe for the first pie?

Mike
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Sure, it's easy. But it's not one of ours.....

Stop by Papa Murphy's and ask for a Cinnamon Wheel Pizza. They (Papa Murphy's guys) were cooking all day on an Egg. The topping that looks like cheese in the picture is really the icing that goes on after it's baked.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    There is one across the street. I quit going there when they quit carrying deep dish pies.

Mike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Congrats on a successful first fest, everything looks great. Thanks for sharing.
    canuckland