Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poached or steamed Salmon anyone?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everybody,
I wanted to poach a whole salmon on the egg like they do at a wonderful Buffet joint in Clearwater called Sheppards. Wal Mart has whole wild Salmon for $7.00 for the whole dressed fish. and just wanted to know has anyone has tried this on the egg? if so how long at what temp? and any other tips to keep it moist.
sorry for any bad spelling Im on Percoset from surgery yesterday had to go in a blast a huge kidney stones Thanks ahead for the replies[p] Dave, in Spring hill Fla.

Comments

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Options
    Dave in Spring Hill Fla,
    I don't know much about salmom but on Sunday afternoons Sheppards is a cool place. I use to live near there.

• jrterrier
    Options
    Dave,[p]The rule of thumb for cooking fish is 10 minutes per inch of thickness, and that is for any form... steaks, fillets, or whole, and any method of cooking. That timing is just an average. It can be overdone using this guide, or it can still be a bit on the uncooked side. On the whole, you want most fish to be opaque, but TUNA, you want translucent in the center. Temperature of Egg? "Joy of Cooking, All About Grilling" book says medium hot charcoal. I would take a guess of somewhere around 350* at the grill. (That is the oven temperature I would use.)[p]You need to use a thermometer for fish too. In "Joy of Cooking, All about Grilling" they recommend 137* for most fish. If you want it a little bit translucent, 135* is said to be good. Tuna, which is better less done, 120*. Then they say to use a knife to cut and peek to see if it is as done as you want it, if you are unsure of the thermometer.[p]If you are steaming, you cook the fish by having over hot water, and if poaching fish, you cook it in the water. They make special pans for this, long and slender, with a lid. I wonder if you really want to steam or poach in the Egg. Steaming could add smoke flavor to the fish, where poaching would add little or none. You can improvise with foil. I would build a base pan with several layers of heavy foil on some type of sheet (cookie?) and finish it off by forming a top over that, again with foil. Add fluids inside the formed tray. You will want to be able to get to the fish with a thermometer, or, to test it with the knife. You will have to experiment to see if direct or indirect cooking is best. If using foil, I would opt for indirect as the fish will be sitting right on the bottom of the pan. [p]Spices are up to you, as I have no idea what that restaurant uses. My favorite on salmon is lemon juice (lightly applied) and dill, along with the normal salt & pepper.[p]If you want another way to try cooking salmon, wash the inside of the salmon. Fill the cavity with mayonnaise and sliced or chopped onion, and season to taste. Wrap in foil, (use some sort of pan to support the foil/fish) and cook according to thickness of the fish at the spine. I would use indirect heat in the Egg. The mayonnaise and onion make a wonderful sauce to serve with the salmon. It does not taste like mayonnaise, but like some fancy sauce that some chef made. The top of the foil could be slit towards the end of the bake to allow some smoke into this. Would be very tasty, and I think wild salmon is on sale this week.[p]Hope this helps you some,
    Bonnie [p]

• Dave, I've made a Thai recipe using Bass in Banana leaves that turned out very well. I'd use a lot less lemon grass though, as the flavors were way to overpowering. The recipe allows other fish, and it might work nicely with salmon too.
    BassinLeavesWTEXT.jpg
    here is the recipe:[p]Striped Bass Grilled in Banana Leaves[p]For this Thai dish, you need banana leaves that are 6 inches longer and three times wider than each fish.[p]For the spice paste:
    6 large garlic cloves, halved
    1 piece fresh ginger, 1 inch long, peeled
    3 Tbs. fresh cilantro roots or stems
    3/4 tsp. salt
    3/4 tsp. whole peppercorns, cracked
    1 1/2 Tbs. Chinese light soy sauce[p]2 whole striped bass, sea bass, red snapper or trout, each about 1 1/2 lb., heads and tails intact
    Salt and Pepper, to taste
    2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed, crushed and cut into 2-inch lengths
    2 large banana leaves, or more if needed
    1 Tbs. vegetable oil, or as needed[p]For the garlic-lime sauce:
    4 green serrano chilies, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 shallot, chopped
    1/3 cup chicken broth
    1 Tbs. sugar
    1/4 tsp. salt
    Juice of 2 limes
    2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro[p]Directions
    To make the spice paste, in a mortar or in a blender, combine the garlic, ginger, cilantro roots, salt and peppercorns. Grind with a pestle or blend until a smooth paste forms. Stir in the soy sauce. Set aside.[p]Rinse the fish under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Make 3 diagonal slashes, about 2 inches apart, almost to the bone across both sides of each fish. Season inside and out with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavities with the lemongrass, dividing evenly, and rub the spice paste inside both fish.[p]Bring a pot three-fourths full of water to a boil. Dip each banana leaf into the water until softened, about 4 seconds. Wipe dry. Set the leaves, glossy sides down, on a work surface and brush the centers with the oil. Place 1 fish in the center of each banana leaf. Fold the long sides up and over the fish so they overlap in the middle and secure with toothpicks. Fold the ends over to enclose the sides and thread toothpicks into the leaves to make a neat packet. If the leaves tear, wrap with extra leaves.
    Prepare a fire in a grill.
    Meanwhile, prepare the garlic-lime sauce: In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the chilies, garlic, shallot, broth, sugar and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, stir to combine and simmer, uncovered, until reduced to a light syrup, about 3 minutes. Let cool and mix in the lime juice and cilantro. Transfer to a bowl.[p]When the coals are hot, place the fish packets on the grill rack and grill, turning with tongs every 3 to 4 minutes. The total cooking time is about 15 minutes. The fish should sizzle constantly while cooking. To check for doneness, carefully remove a fish packet from the grill. Using scissors, snip the banana leaf lengthwise along the center to open the packet. The fish should be opaque; if not, rewrap and continue cooking.[p]Serve hot with the garlic-lime sauce. Serves 4.[p]Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Lifestyles Series,Asian Flavors,by Joyce Jue (Time-Life Books, 1999).

• Jopa,
    Yeah and I tell ya what, if you ever get the chance on Sundays at Tampa International Airport at a place called CK"S This place does a complete turn 380 while you eat and it takes 1 hour to rotate, every seat is a great seat! they are the Buffets of buffets. what a spread they will reopen after summer on Sundays for there brunch and any special holidays like Mothers Day or Fathersday there open but they are close durring summer, The Mngr said they just dont do the business.
    Dave

• Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    Options
    HML,
    Yum- This sounds really good. I have frozen banana leaves in the freezer waiting to be used. I'm going to give it a try.

• LuvMyEgg,
    I had fun doing it, I think you will too.