Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In the middle of first overnight

ElDestructo
ElDestructo Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I put on a 10.5 lbs boned pork butt, right now I am only ~10 hours in and it is already reading 176 on the Mercury. That seems a little high to me and I have yet to notice a plateau. It has been 225-250 dome temp all night (we had a bit of a breeze). The smoker probe on the Mercury is currently reading 250. I am hoping to eat around 7:30 - 8p.m. tonight. Should I be concerned yet? I have another instant read thermometer that I may go validate with, but I have yet to crack the egg.

Thanks all, my wife is now calling the Mercury the "Baby Monitor."

Comments

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Sounds to me like you have about another 2-3 hrs. to go. You are fine.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    You'll be fine. I bet it won't get to 180-185 for a at least 2-3 hours. then the last 10-15 degrees will happen pretty fast. Once you remove and double foil and put in a cooler with a few towels, it can hold for 4-5 hours.
  • Thanks guys much appreciated, this forum helps make the eggs great.

It smells great, looking forward to opening it up.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I think you are in the plateau. As it happens, I was just going over some old files, and found an early Egg cook record that showed the meat temp going up about 2/3 of a degree per minute. Without a plateau, taking a 40 degree butt to 190 should take about 4 hours.

My feeling on this is that there is a chance that you may need to ramp the temp up. If you haven't broke 185 by 3:30, open the vents so you can reach at least 300.

Do try your temp probe somewhere else. Often butts read very differently at other locations.

You already have cooked pork. Even if it is not pull-able, the slices will be most delectable!
  • Thanks again. I caved and opened the egg. Wow it looks great! I used another digital instant thermometer (I don't have the BGE one, as I already had this one: http://www.amazon.com/BonJour-Chefs-Laser-Probe-Thermometer/dp/B001DIXA0K). That being said, I tried it in a couple of other places and it confirmed my temperature which is now 185-186. I'm not going to worry, when I see it hit 200 I'll remove, foil, wrap, and place into a cooler. I was using the 1.5 - 2 hrs/lb estimate and I'm sitting at only 12 hours for 10.5lbs so far!

I'll take a picture when I open it to pull it off.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    See..No worries B)