Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Charcoal

Options
Al
Al Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What brand do you use and why?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Go to the "NakedWhiz.com" and check his charcoal database..it will answer any question you may have..
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    The brand thats on sale because it saves me money. :whistle::whistle: I use Cowboy and Royal Oak mostly. My Wal-Mart carries RO and a local grocer carries Cowboy. I guess I really prefer RO but I will buy Cowboy If its dirt cheap. As far as why, I really dont have a good answer other than both of those are convenient to me. They both do the job.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    i use the Royal Oak from GFs. My loal "gormet" grocer is selling mali at 6.50 for 10 pbs. I bought a ba and will tryi it out. I will probably just stick with GFS as they say they will have it year round ,(michigan) and if they dont hae it they can get me abag or two on the next days truck.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Wicked Good. Because it is. Oh, and the fact that their distribution center is 20 miles away and I can pick it up for about $13/22 lb bag.

Also, Royal Oak because it's at WalMart. H8 WalMart, but I will go there for lump because they are the only ones who carry it around here.

I was amazed at all the brands on the Whiz's site. I've never seen any of them except WG, RO and Cowboy. Don't know where all those brands are sold, but it ain't here.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    In the upper right corner where it says site search, type in lump charcoal. This has been discussed here hundreds of times.
  • Al
    Options
  • Al
    Options
  • Al
    Options
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Hi Al,
    I use Royal Oak I can get it at Wally world and it works well. I have used Wicked Good and it had a funny smell that I did not like in the food, it did burn a long time. I have used Big Green Egg and it is Royal Oak. I don't the lump matters that much, for me it's about price and availability.
    The Big Green Egg is the most important part. :)
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Cruzr
    Cruzr Posts: 91
    Options
    RO from Wworld for the price. Did buy a bag of Wicked Good, but for a lot more than $13/bag, only place around here (MI) that sells it. :angry:
    But for long cooks I am impressed with WGood. 11 hour pork butt cook with WG and I could easily do another 11 hour cook with what's still in the firebox. I can't do that with RO. I'll use the RO for everyday cooking and save the WG for the overniters.
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    If you cant do a 22 hour cook with RO, you must not be filling the egg up to the top of the fire ring or your cooking hotter than 250. I've cooked 30 hours before on Royal Oak and still had lump left.
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    My local BGE dealer carries the BGE lump as well as "Redneck" which he says is made by RO which makes the BGE brand. The Redneck is a couple bucks cheaper so thats what I've been using. A local "Farm and Home" store has started to carry Fire King for about $6 a bag less than Redneck for 20lbs. I've switched to Fire King and can't tell that much difference between it and BGE brand or Redneck. So far all three are ok with me, price is the discriminator.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    I use dragon's breath...$20 fer 20lb bag, local ACE store has a 20lb bag of Cowboy fer $12-13 so I'm gonna try a few bags of that next fer the $$$$$ :ohmy:
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    You would think that taste and not price of lump would be the BIG factor.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • Frobozz
    Frobozz Posts: 98
    Options
    I think a lot of people would argue (and I would be one) that there is not much discernible taste difference between charcoals, especially when grilling (I can definitely tell the difference between RO and Wicked Good, both of which I use, when I'm smoking...the tropical hardwoods offer a different smoke flavor). In the end, it's all mixed hardwoods.

I buy on price and quality and, like most folks here, use RO because it works well and is cheap at Wal-Mart. Cowboy is OK but definitely uses a lighter/less dense hardwood and for me, doesn't last as long. I'd still buy it if it got really cheap or I just needed a bag -- it works fine.
  • shubydoobydo
    shubydoobydo Posts: 115
    Options
    I used to use the kingsford lump from lowes. I recently decided to drive abt 20 miles to try the Wicked Good-weekend warrior brand and It is much better! It burns longer and cleans up easier. The taste is no different but those other two factors are more important to me. Def check out the nakedwhiz website as I used it to decide what to try next. Good Luck!
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    I usually dont taste my lump. I just pour it in the egg and cook with it!! :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Very funny, but to the point. :laugh:
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon