Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

question about cutting pork loin into baby backs

Options
big hound
big hound Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There's a market in my area selling whole bone in pork loin for $1.49lb. They have baby backs at $4.99lb. I was wondering, couldn't I buy the pork loin and slice the bone off, cutting it pretty thick for some excellent meaty ribs, while use the rest of the loin for a roast or steaks. It seems like an enexpensive way to get some real thick baby backs and have some extra meat to use for something else. I'm no expert at porkloin so I thought I'd run this by you guys before I go out and buy a few loins.

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    big hound. One problem you will encounter....when they butcher the loin as a bone in roast, they leave the chine bones and part of the spine bones. You can cut the ribs off the loin, but unless you have those additional bones cut off, you will never achieve what looks like a "rack" of babyback ribs. If you're friendly with your butcher, perhaps they will run the loin on their band saw for you.
    Great price though! Time to start researching the recipes on this site for loins. And absolutely, you can cut the loin into some thick bonesless chops for sure! About 2" thick is our preferance. And there is nothing wrong with a bone in loin roast....delicious!
    Have fun! :)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    You and your butcher got me really confused, Bone in pork loin?? Maybe Little Steven and some of the other gurus will chime in. My closest guess is a pork rib roast, which is a great cut and makes a nice cut, but it won't do what you are thinking! :unsure:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Thanks LC, I have a little better handle on it now, but still, I can't figure why they would market it that way :unsure:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Frank,

They rock!
    417e5662.jpg
    37156c8b.jpg
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I think it would be what is considered a rack of pork. Just slice into double chops. It's a great egged meal.

Here is one resting:

P1312238-1.jpg

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    big hound I agree with the others leave the bone in

100_4000.jpg

100_4003.jpg

100_4005.jpg
  • big hound
    Options
    Thanks, I will follow your guy's advice and not destroy a nice bone in pork loin.
  • big hound
    Options
    That's exactly what it looks like. If I've learned one thing on this forum over the years it's listen to the experts. I'm leaving the bones in. Thanks
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Here's the rub with your thick-n-meaty baby back rib idea. Yes you can certainly do it, especially if you have the chine bone removed or a way to cut through it. I worked in a pork processing plant and my job was first cut to remove the ribs from the loin. I can tell you that many times I wanted to smack the guys running the bandsaws because if they miss their mark by 1/4" then no matter how sharp my knife was I couldn't do my job.

The problem is that the loin meat you would leave on to make the ribs extra thick and meaty is not the kind of meat that does well in a low and slow type cook. Lean loin meat is going to get dry and tough and grainy before the meat between and against the ribs (which contains more fat and connective tissue) is done and delicious.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Porkboneinloin2.jpg

Sure, you can buy the whole loin and kcut it up at home. It takes a little time and knife work. I would start whith the longest fillet knife you have and refresh the edge before jumping into this project.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    OK, just different terminology. I have fixed rack of pork and love it! Sometimes it is hard to stay on the same page :woohoo:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    That one was called a 'bone-in Ribeye roast' I think. :lol:
  • big hound
    Options
    Wow, now that's a great pic explaining the parts. Class is in session.