Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Semi-OT Earthboxes

bitslammer
bitslammer Posts: 818
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well it won't be OT when some of this hits the Egg.

I forgot to cover my earthboxes but it doesn't seem to have mattered. The cucumber plant is going to overtake the entire deck. Oddly the sickly plant in the white pot above is from the same container. I don't think it's going to make it.

The peppers (jalpeno, anaheim, bell & poblano) look like they're doing well too. Can't wait to start picking.

4733739497_047989c7e2_z_d.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Tis the year for peppers!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Watch your peppers. The bells can be cross-pollinated by the jalapenos and you will have hot and spicy bells. Just be prepared for that possibility. Conversely you can get some extremely mild jalapenos.

I just had some of the best heirloom tomatoes in my life from a farmer's market here in South Carolina and have the urge to build some of these boxes to grow some.
  • cookn biker
    I hear great things about the topsy turvey product. Some say it's the BGE of tomato growing products.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

My barber said his was horrible.

I bought one 2 years ago. I need to give it a try, maybe I will get that started this weekend.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub

Nice looking plants. I wonder if the covers do anything. Maybe just keep weeds out and reduce some of the evaporation some.

GG
  • cookn biker
    How 'bout I match you and we will both see, hands on.
    I'll pick one up tomorrow.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • i think you get the cross-bred peppers in the next generation from the seeds of this cross-breeding, no?

isn't the fruit of these plants determined by the current genes in the plant, and if he grew plants from these crossed seeds (next year), he might then see a different fruit?
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I have been working in my garden all week. Weeding and digging up my onion sets because we had so much rain this spring the ground compacted and the weeds took over. I had to dig up the onions and turn the soil and break up all the clumps. Then I replanted the onions. I had a bunch of straw laid down for the tomato plants and that helped keep the weeds out. My cucumber plants are crawling everywhere and I put down straw for them as well. Last is my bell peppers nothing wrong with them they are making nicely. All in all today I picked our first Bradley tomato from about 35 plants. I hope to be in tomato heaven soon. Then it will be BLT's every day for lunch. Yum yum. I haven't made bacon yet I guess I should get to it. :woohoo: Tim
  • my youngest son has been wanting one, so i caved.

filled with dirt, it's about 75 pounds. hahaha i bought a bishop's crook plant hook (sticks in the ground) to hold it. after the first rainstorm, the hook was bent over touching the ground. i bought another hook, and put them at right angles with their hooks touching, to carry it.

so, the topsy turvey thing was 10 bucks. the hooks fifteen each. the seedling a couple bucks. i can buy a pantload of tomatoes for forty-plus bucks. :laugh:
  • bitslammer
    Fidel wrote:
    Watch your peppers. The bells can be cross-pollinated by the jalapenos and you will have hot and spicy bells. Just be prepared for that possibility. Conversely you can get some extremely mild jalapenos.

I just had some of the best heirloom tomatoes in my life from a farmer's market here in South Carolina and have the urge to build some of these boxes to grow some.

I've had that cross polination happen before and sometimes it makes for some nice surprises. MOst turn out to be misahpen and inedible.

I do have 2 heirlooms one is "Amish Paste" and the other is a wine colored variety. I don't like raw tomatoes so they are for the wife. For me they'll become sauce or salsa before I eat them.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    :P I refuse to run the numbers on hunting and fishing. :whistle:
  • Grandpas Grub

Good idea, that will get me off my butt.

I bought a lot of tomato plants then we had a freeze and all the plants looked like death - black leaves.

I have been surprised, it looks like the tomato plants are still holding on. Still in small nursery cups but I am still watering. The leaves are still somewhat black but the plants have been growing.

I even have some red on the small tomatoes which are still in the nursery cups. I'll take some pictures before and after.

Got to pick up some lime (I think it is) for the potting soil before I plant.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub

35 tomato plants - you nuts or are you going to sell at a farmers market? :) You are going to be one busy guy.

Kent
  • 2Fategghead
    Hey Kent, My bad only 30 tomato plants but I have some bell pepper plants and some burp-less cucumbers and I'm trying to raise some onions.

If we were neighbors I would share them with you. B) Over ambitious? yes :ermm:
    To many plants? yes :pinch:
    Love tomatoes? yes :P especially Bradley's because they are a very good slicing tomato. ;)

000_2141.jpg

000_2142.jpg

The strip of bare dirt is full of onion sets. I love to eat sweet onions raw. I pull them when they get as big as crab apple or so. Sometimes bigger but then they get hot and make your eyes water. :woohoo:

000_2143.jpg

000_2144.jpg

000_2145.jpg

000_2146.jpg

000_2147.jpg

000_2148.jpg
  • bitslammer
    Wow! Nice garden. I got sick trying to keep Bambi and Thumper at bay out in my garden. We still have a few things there (tomatoes, peppers, Swiss chard and assorted herbs) but I've moved things to the deck or the inside fence for now. We actually have vegetables interspersed in the flower beds now.
  • Cruzr
    Cruzr Posts: 91
    Thought I'd gone overboard :laugh:
    DSC_0198.jpg
    DSC_0199.jpg
    might have to plant some different peppers tho ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks. I try to keep the labor to a minimum but, I am up against a tree line. About three weeks ago I cut down the neighbors huge bush. I got in to a bunch of chiggers as well. It took me two weeks to get over that. So the morning sun is blocked some. I have an apple tree and a peach tree close by as well so I know what you mean about the deer and other wild life out there. Our other neighbor has a ground hog living under her out building. I also have moles... :lol:
  • 2Fategghead
    Nice raised garden. I see you use newspaper to keep the weeds out. We use the same fencing posts for steaks. I got mine at Lowes. Tim ;)
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    My son had one. Just when the tomatoe was going good, the hook that holds it up broke and he had "crushed tomatoes". :ohmy:
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Cruzr
    Cruzr Posts: 91
    Just tryin the newspaper out. I see while I was back there taking pics, that the d**n rabbits are goin after the pepper plants, must not have em hot enough :lol: Gonna have to get me some fencing to go along with my fence posts. Might have to do a bed next year for some peppers ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    To bad you don't live out in the country because then you could put them on a lead diet. :woohoo: Tim

Don't tell Cindy I said that because we have two young wabbits running around here. She loves seeing them around. I told her I will kill them and tell her they were squirrels. :lol: