Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The whole pig is on order any helpers?

rzrrob
rzrrob Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay guys,,, I am going for it after reading last nights post. I have on order a 40/50 pound pig for my XL

I will be cooking it on the 4th of July

I will keep you all posted with pics as we come along

Anyone in the Orlando area that would like to help with the cook is welcome send my a email if interested huge block party and plenty of room for eggs and big firework show that night :)

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I just read through the other thread. The one in the photo was from Eggtoberfest 2008 if I'm not mistaken. There was one there that looked similar if not.
    I'm of the opinion that cooking a whole hog on an Egg has no advantage over hog parts, except for maybe the "oh wow" factor of the guests. If good Que is the goal, have it butchered into quarters, ribs, belly, and loin.
    Another option is the La Cachina(sp?) or similar device as used recently by Big'un. They are made for whole hogs and are reasonably priced. I could see using one of those, especially if whole hog was cheaper than shoulders.
    I have cooked many whole hogs on open pits and homemade cookers, but since getting an egg I have not considered it.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    I'm going to chime in on this one too. I was one of the unfortunates that was downwind from that hog most of the day. So much fat was rendering on the lump that it smoked to high heaven and it WASN'T pleasant to breath. :sick: If you're having a big party, this is something to consider. If you follow through and try it, do everything possible to contain as much of the fat rendering as possible including removing, emptying and replacing the drip pan if necessary. Good luck.

Mark
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I agree, that thing made some serious smoke. -RP
  • rzrrob
    Okay I got the point on the smoke I will make sure I have a drip pan it looks like in the photo all he has on the bottom is alumni foil

Also I am shooting for a 40 pounder should have less fat and at the end as long as it tast good and it will be a fun cook I thunk

A pig pic is always fun
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    The one done at EGGtoberfest was done on a large. The firering was removed and the grate set down on the firebox. I don't think there was room for a drip pan. I'd like to see how it does on an XL. If you can fit a drip pan in, I think it would be an advantage. You might remove the grease with the help of a turkey baster so you wouldn't have to remove everything. Please take plenty of pix. I'll be interested in how successful this adventure turns out.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    im not sure it would be safe to be opening and closing the dome with all that grease in a pan in there, i think it spells fire. i might deal with the smoke, or maybe find a way to funnel it out the lower vent. there has to be buckets of grease in a pig
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    maybe a hand operated bilge pump ;)
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Not that I can see myself ever doing it, but where does one order a whole pig? I'm lucky if I can find a butt bigger than 7 lbs! Or more than two of them in the same store. Not all that long ago, where I live anyway, it was very unusual to find a butt at all!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Weekend Warrior
    Since when have you been worried about safety? LOL! A porch that floats with the wind.......Mapp torches tossed in the lake like grenades......hahaha :woohoo:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    That's what I thought too.

Drain it out. Use an aluminum pan and poke a hole in it and attach or fashion a drain line of something that won't melt. 1/4" copper line comes to mind. Just run that into a bucket on the ground. ;) No mo stinky Piggy
  • Weekend Warrior
    The other thing Adam that no one has touched on in this thread is that all of this work with a 40lb. baby pig is only going to net him about 15lbs. of servable meat....or enough for about 40 people. He would net about 24lbs. out of 4 ten pound shoulders..........
  • rzrrob
    Will do

The smoke point for pig grease is around 37o flash would be higher so I think I will be fine and hope lol

I think it will be fun here in fl pig is ez to find will pick it up under $125 bucks from a very well known butcher
  • rzrrob
    Keep in mind all I am not trying to feed every on off just the pig we will have many other items

Any one can drop a few butts on the egg but how fun will it be to pull a full pig off and have a pig pick and have a bunch of beers at the same time
  • fishlessman
    i would cook the pig as well. just be careful removing the grease if you go that route as i big hunk of meat like that requires a much bigger, hotter fire to keep your dome temps high enough.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    you should have been in the boat with me looking for my hat last weekend in the squall :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    never found it
    fukahwee maine

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Don't forget to wrap the ears in foil and the apple in the mouth.

Missed the thread the other day. Not sure if this was there.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=527843&catid=1
  • Ripnem
    True...But I still like the idea :woohoo:

Some day when I grow up...
  • Strangely enough, we can order whole pigs here from Sweetbay, the chain grocery store. I know, it seemed strange to me, too.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hmm, for all I know, I can do that too. But I doubt it. This is New England, not Goldsboro NC. I've been thru there a few times and seems like there's a pig slaughterhouse every couple of miles.

But I can get Pearls here. :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• "a porch that floats with the wind"

good lord man, you DO remember everything. holy heck.
  • i know they guarantee everything, but will they replace an invisible hat?
  • Ripnem
    Dude, I'll never forget those 'toe nails' :laugh:

His own would work almost as well. hehe
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    If the hat was a Tilley they would replace it.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• it is, from what i understand
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    As stated there will be a ton of drippings. Consider taking a pan and putting a hole in the bottom. Attach a funnel with a hose and thread the hose out the bottom vent. Or something like that.
    Yes, I have considered doing one. You will have a ton of waste compared to the amount of meat. Please take pictures.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    What temperature should the hose be rated for to avoid and leaking on the inside???