Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Size Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering my first BGE. I am trying to decide between a medium and large egg. Most of the time I will be cooking for just two, but I want the capacity to cook for at least 6-8 (maybe more on occasion). I also want to be able to cook a small turkey(10-12lbs). Can the medium cook that size turkey? Can a medium cook two chickens at one time? Does the large take longer to heat up when I am cooking only two hamburgers or steaks? Any Advice?[p]Thanks
Tom

Comments

• Luder
    Luder Posts: 31
    Options
    TomM,[p]May I suggest that you get the large. You may use more lump to heat up the egg, but if you entertain several guests on occasion, you can never have enough room. Try the large and if you really like it (which I bet that you will) get an additional small or even a mini when you just cook for two.[p]Luder
    [ul][li]Dimensions[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    TomM,
    easy . . .go for the large. . .that way you will never say "gee, wish i had a large tonight". . .it takes no longer to get to temps, and is just as efficient on lump usage as when you close the vents when done, it will snuff pretty quickly, leaving your unused lump for the next cook. ..i fill my large up every time, regardless of whether i'm cooking a couple of burgers quickly, or cooking for hours. . .last year i did my thanksgiving turkey in the large in a roasting pan with no trouble (7 hours at 325 degrees). . .[p]and here is a picture of a 12 pound double smoked ham. . [p]DSCN0183.jpg

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    Options
    TomM,
    You can't beat the combo of a Large and a Small.....go for the large...I bet in 6 months or so you'll get the small to go with the large anyway.

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    They all are gonna tell you large, however...
    Here are some possibilities on a medium.[p]

[ul][li]Cooking on a medium egg[/ul]
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    TomM,
    you can cook less on a large but not more on a small.
    get the large then adot a small later if you feel the need.
    if you get good at pulled pork your gonna need two large, wfe, mother, butcher, lawyer, inlaws, son (bribes his boss with it) church ect all want them.

• VOLinVA
    VOLinVA Posts: 12
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I've been thinking of trying a ham. Can you give me some details on the cook???
  • WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Options
    TomM,
    Either one would be a great choice but I say, get the large. You won't regret it.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    TomM,
    First of all, should you definitely decide to go with the BGE you will not be disappointed, and I hope that you will.
    A lot of forum members have suggested various sizes. My suggestion would be the large for a lot of reasons.
    There are only two in my household, unless you count our dog, who has been a member of the family for 15 years, and she also enjoys the fruits of the BGE.
    I have several larges, and awaiting the XL, because I find myself wanting more and more capicity for various reasons.
    What ever size you decide, Welcome to the Green Room!
    Hammer

• TomM,
    definetly go with the large BGE. You never know when you will need the extra room the large has over the other sizes. Happy egging! Julio

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    VOLinVA,
    its a slight variation on "dr. chickens double smoked ham". .. if you go to the archives you oughta be able to find a pic... [p]first, i set up my egg inderect with a drip pan on the inverted plate setter, over a full load of lump with a lot of wood chunks (you want a lot of smoke) typically hickory and apple. .. set the temp at 250 degrees. .[p]us a precooked, hardwood smoked ham from the grocery (ergo the 'double smoked' title), but don't use a ham thats been spriral sliced, it will dry out. . .. [p]i prepare the ham by slathering it in dijon mustard and brown sugar. . .put it in the egg with orange juice in the drip pan. . ..let it smoke for 1/2 hour per pound. .. [p]during the last hour you baste it with a sauce made as follows:[p]1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    1/4 cup honey
    2 T cider vinager
    2 T worcestesier sauce
    1 T dry ground mustard
    2 T orange juice concentrate[p]simmer that in a pan, then brush it on the ham every 10 minutes or so for the last hour. . .[p]ham should be about 140 degrees internal when pulled (remember, its a pre-cooked ham,so this isn't crititcal)[p]it comes out absoulutely fantastic every time. . .