Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need BIG HELP!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am, I admit, doing this wrong...cooking Saturday night for a party before I've tried it out myself instead. I need HELP! I have four Port Shoulder Roasts, each 4-5 pounds, a Large Egg, and a newly purchased Plate Setter. I am nervous about leaving Pork overnight on the grill unattended since I haven't done it before. Is it possible to start it in the crock pot the night before and finish on the grill? I can easily do 12 hours, but it's the potential 18 hours (midnight to 6) that worries me.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Stock up on adult beverages and check it every 3-4 hours. You will survive. Welcome to the "CULT".
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    For a five pound butt it shouldn't take over ten hour. Probably more like 8 hrs for butts that size at 225-250.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    While I don't have the time for an extended back and fourth on this machine...if you want some help, feel free to give me a call @ 281) 894-4471 and I'm glad to help out!

You'll find this wont be nearly has difficult as youre thinking!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Roll Tide
    Also, I recommend registering on the site. There's always someone willing to walk you through if you need any assistance.
  • STressed again....I also have a great convection oven if that is less toady than the crockpots...or if you think this is doable for such a beginner overnight
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    No, they are both pretty much the same. :lol:

You will be fine on the egg. Lots of folks here to talk you through it. Butt is one of the easiest cooks on the egg. And the taste is incredible!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Roll Tide
    If you use oven, you are cooking a roast not really smoking. Therefore, it won't have the smoky bbq flavor you are trying for. I say jump in the deep end, you'll swim just fine. We see lots of new comers stressing out over a cook and 99% of the time it turns out great. If you were on an offset like I cooked on for years I might no recommend, but for heavens sake this is an egg we're talking about.... my cooks got much easier when I got my egg. Heck, I'm looking to add a small or medium to the arsenal now.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Seriously, don't over think this. Fill your egg up with lump. I put my hickory chunks about the 3/4 into the lump. Light and set you vents. On my large that means top daisy the main swivil is closed and the small daisy is about half open. The bottom slider is about 1/4 open. Let it roll for about 45 minutes, making sure the temp is about 250. I would also suggest calibrating you therm on your dome. easy peasy, just put it in ice water. Freezing point is 32 degrees if it is not there then turn the nut on the back of the numeral dial with pliers and get that needle there.
    Once the temp is holding at 225-250 throw that meat on and close your egg up. Trust it. relax and have some brews!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    Cookin biker hit it on the head. Just do it. My first long cook was an 8 lb butt and I started it at midnight at about 225. Went low and slow for 18 hours (with 7 hours of sleep) and when I got up the next morning the egg was right on temp. At about 5:30 I pulled the butt and it was perfect. To top it off, one of my guests was a trained chef and he loved it too. The only place I would differ with the biker is on the gage. I would test it by sticking the tip in boiling water. If it goes to 212 you are there. If not adjust as the biker says.
    Good luck
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    You can do what Cookin Biker says and shoulh have no problem. In six years of using four Eggs at contests I have only had one go out on me, I check them every hour and caught it before it dropped below 180. I use a timer on a string hung around my neck as I snooze in the LuFuma chair. My wife can not understand how I can be dead asleep in two min. and wide a wake in 30 seconds. Works for me.

Good Cooking,
    Poppasam
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    You'll do fine. My very first cook on my egg was two eight lb pork butts. I followed the Elder Ward instructions, http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm. The Naked Whiz has his method on the same site, http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pullpork.htm
    It came out perfect. I think it took 18 Hours.

With your size butts, it should not take as long. Be sure that the butts are not touching (or not touching much) so that there is good air flow.

You should do fine. Just give yourself plenty of time to light the egg and stablize the temp. Relax and good luck. :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    That's an awesome idea!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Make sure you don't start the temp at 235, you have to start at 250. We don't want to see a post, "Is This Still Good".
    You have gotten some very good advice. The good doctor is very talented, she is shy though.
    Mike
  • Wouldn't it be much easier to just use a DigiQ and get a little more sleep???
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Here are two ideas. One start on the egg and get as much smoke on it as you desire. Then trim and add to the crock pot or double wrap in foil and finish in your oven.

Even better though would be to start off at 4 am on Saturday with plenty of smoke and at 10 or 11 am crank your grill up to 300. Should make those small butts finish with plenty of time left for your evening meal.
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    If the cook is Saturday, spend a little time tomorrow playing with a fire and work on your temperature control with you daisy wheel and draft door on bottom. My first cook was a boston butt roast overnite and it did fine. I was however on pins and needles and got very little sleep.
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    That would take all the fun out of it. My wife and I have this dicussion oftem. I'm an old school stick burnner and use to staying up. My wife gave me a guru and I think I used it twice. Some times between checks I take a break from sleeping anwader around the contest and visit the few folks that are up.Now days between pellet cookers and electronic devices not a lot of folks up. Stil having fun.

Poppasam