Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large vs Medium

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Within the next few weeks I will purchase a BGE but I don't know whether I need the large or medium....only 2 in the family. Also, what do you recommend for accesories with the initial investment.
I have eaten food from the BGE for over 3 years.....eggalicious.

Comments

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Bob from Florida,
    I recommend the Large egg between the two.
    Recommended tools: thermometer, grill gripper, ash tool and the slide top daisy wheel for starters.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Bob from Florida,[p]You're going to hear alot of people say large (I am one too) because you can do a little bigger amount in it when you want to. Other than that, the med would be pretty much the same as a large. The real difference is the initial investment between the two. While the med would surely use less fuel, you would never notice it - so don't let fuel savings sway you. [p]I just got a small and I must admit - Mr. Big has not fired up since. It's three of us and the small works for most grilling needs. Its nice to have the large for the big jobs. GFW has a medium Egg and look at the stuff he does with it. If you are sure you will never need the size, the medium will do.[p]Polder, ash tool, slide/daisy top, Webber firecubes, V-rack, fish grid if you like fish
    Tim

[ul][li]-- Tim's BGE cookbook and stuff --[/ul]
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Bob from Florida,[p]I think bdavidson has given you some straight info. I have a medium egg and wonder why I didn't get a large to start with (actually, I started with a small and upgraded to a medium). The medium is great excempt when I want do cook for guests. I find myself wanding to add a few more rack of ribs, etc! In the long run, the money will be forgotten (although it may hurt a little at first).[p]Smokey
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Tim M,
    You're talking me into a small. The biggest test, though, is seeing if you can talk my wife into it! Eggtoberfest? We'll be there.
    bd

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    bdavidson,[p]It took my wife just a couple of days to become very fond of the small Egg that just suddenly arrived at our door one day shortly after Atlanta Eggfest. I'll be happy to have my boss help justify this purchase with yours. See ya in October.[p]K~G

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    tender3.jpg
    <p />KennyG,[p]I agree - the small/large combo is great!! [p]I wish the small had the Egg mate too and I wish it had an auto lock top so it would open wider. I drug my pork tenderloins over the new felt seal last night as I was getting them into the small Egg. [p]
    Tim

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
  • Grumpa
    Options
    bdavidson,
    Thank you...you made my mind up.....

• Grumpa
    Options
    Smokey,
    Thanks for your help...[p]

• Grumpa
    Options
    Tim M,
    Thank you for your input

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Tim M,
    That is an awfully clean inside on the small BGE. Make sure that you have at least two extra seals for the Small; you’re going to need them.[p]Actually, I am glad that you have a small. Now, we may be able to get some of the same improvements that exist for the Large.[p]If one of us does it, they will just think that you are crazy. (raising own hand)
    If two of us do it, they will think that we are just weird.
    If three of us do it, they may think that we are a movement and folks we are.[p](Sorry, old Arlo Guthrie song started to dance in my head)[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk