Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib rack or not

GregC
GregC Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm getting ready to try my hand at ribs this weekend, my first. For a beginner do you think I'd be better off using a rack or not? And why?

B)

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    If you have the room to lay them flat, I think they stay moister and get better color.

But when you exceed your capacity for laying them out a rack sure is handy.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    I agree completely with thirdeye. If I have room, like when I am doing a couple racks, I lay them down. However, if I am doing three or more racks a rib rack is a must. If you do get a rack, get a good one that supports the racks properly. I don't like for my racks to touch while cooking so that they have plenty of airflow and such between them. this may not be necessary, but Thats how I like it.
  • I bought a rib rack fron BGE when I got my egg and I don't really like it. It's not big enough to hold long slabs let alone several of them. This makes it awkward to turn the rib slabs and apply sauce. However, I do like the idea of the slabs standing up to get a more even heat exposure. Haven't tried to lay them down on the grate yet. This might be fine if you have room. I'm looking for a better, longer rack with a minimum of four slab slots or six.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    e785affc.jpg

I like the ones that Dave Klose makes. They are long and tall enough to stop the ribs from curling, yet have a slight angle to them so they don't take up too much headroom.

b0aa2307.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I don't like em.Cut the ends off the racks and use a double grate(grid) cook.That's my ONLY PEEVE with the BGE.Not NEAR enough real estate for ribs and such.I just need MORE ROOM!!!I wish they made one the same size as a Ranch Kettle!36 inch dia.I wuld buy the electric winch to lift the lid,or BGE could offer it as an accessorie!!! :whistle:
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    I use a rib rack because I usually cook alot and can't lay em flat.....If you did have an extension that would be good, and when I get mine...I'll probably start laying them flat too.....
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • I asked that question myself, so I checked this forum to see if I could find a good answer. A slab of pork ribs was my 2nd cook, my first was a bunch of filet-mignons. Good and simple, almost fool-proof.

When I did my first rib, I layed it flat on the grill. Since this was an experiment, I did only one. Came out good with some dry rub and my home-made BBQ sauce.

BUT!!! I really wanna cook up LOTS of ribs so i can feed like 20 people at a party. Certainly the rack increases capacity. I think the rack is the way to go. I have the large BGE.

BTW: for some reason my ribs looked a little on the dry side. I tented some aluminum foil over the top of them, and it recovered nicely. But - should I have basted more often?

I like thirdeye's photo - makes me mouth water!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    not being a smarty pants here - but is this the BGE rack you have that you don't like?
    IMG_1194.jpg

If so if you flip it over it holds 6 racks on edge.
    IMG_1195.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GregC
    GregC Posts: 91
    Thanks for all the help, going to cook 3 slabs on Sunday afternoon. I'll lwt you know how they turned out. B)