Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kari's hog-apple beans

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody have a link to this recipe? I thought it was on Thirdeye's site but didn't see it there. -RP

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Do a search for "apple baked beans", it is there, posted by Richard. I have made it several times now and it is a real hit :woohoo:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Keri's Hog-Apple Baked Beans
    3 or 4 slices bacon, diced
    2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
    1/2 c. Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
    1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
    1 can apple pie filling
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 green pepper, chopped
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbsp. Mustard (prepared)
    1 tsp chipotle or cayenne powder (optional, to taste*)
    1 tsp Blues Hog barbecue rub (or your favorite de jour)
    Brown bacon, and sauté onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.
    This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. This is my standard for baked beans anymore.
    *This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.
    Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
    Lately, I've been using two of the 28-oz cans of Bush's Original Baked Beans - I think I'm going to try it with the new Honey variety next. Happier with the results with these. -kc
    Another update... Jack's Old South does something similar to this, but I understand that they use peach pie filling instead.
  • bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    Options
    2 (16 oz) cans pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
    1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
    1 can apple pie filling
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.
    This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. This is my standard for baked beans anymore.
    *This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.
  • bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    Options
    Wow that was cool Mike!! Almost at the same second!
    Looks like Louisiana boys like these beans!

I know we've made them a bunch of times!

Steve
  • AZRP
    Options
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I couldn't find the link but here is the text of the post from thirdeye and egret back in Sept. '07

======================

I was thinkin' this might just the ticket for the Memorial Day weekend...Beans are one of my favorite side dishes. I have several of my own favorites, and 3 or 4 recipes from other folks I use. I generally cook beans (pinto and Great Northern) from scratch. With one or two exceptions I don't use canned beans, and I don't really care for the sweet BBQ baked beans. But I love cooking for others and BBQ baked beans are very popular, so lately the quest was on to find a GREAT recipe for baked beans. I have found it. You may be familiar with Keri C, who posts on several barbecue forums, her recipes are legendary. About 15 people recommended her recipe to me, here it is. The apple pie filling and the sausage are wonderful additions. This is a keeper.~thirdeye~

INGREDIENTS:
    3-4 Slices Bacon, diced
    2 16 Oz Can Pork and beans, mostly drained (modified to 2 28-oz cans Bush's Baked Beans - see note below)
    1/2 cup Blues Hog BBQ Sauce (or other sweet-spicy favorite)
    1 lb smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage
    1 Can Apple pie filling
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbs Mustard (prepared)

Procedure:
    1 Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.
    2 This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. This is my standard for baked beans anymore.
    3 *This is a rather spicy recipe due to the chipotle/cayenne powder. Feel free to leave it out if you'll be feeding those who prefer a less spicy taste.
    4 Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
    5 09/18/07
    Add all the goo from the pie filling. The beans get a rinse. ~thirdeye~

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Thirdeye, 2007/05/26

09/17/07----egret,

First off, as you have probably heard, Keri's recipe is outstanding. It is one of three recipes which use canned beans that I make. (and one is a pasta/bean thing which does not even count). Anyway, I have made it both ways and something closer to the 2 - 28's is a real crowd pleaser.

I drain and rinse the beans in a colander so the can juice does not interfere with the magic in this recipe.

~thirdeye~

====================== end of post =============

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Heheee. Kari is the cousin. KeriC is the one that makes the Hog Apple Beans, among other accomplishments.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AZRP
    Options
    I need to learn how to spell. Is that recipe still on your site, I couldn't find it? -RP
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    No, it never has been there. I've e-mailed her a couple of times over the years for permission and have never heard back.

Just google keric hog apple beans and it will pop up. She hangs out on the vwbb forum and it's all over there.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    I did something similar for the weekend only used bushes grillin beans the black bean fiesta kind it already has peooer and onion the used some brisket pieces and sugar free apple pie filling very tasty
    Gerry
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    i mean pepper duh
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Here you go randy

On the road to being a farker

Oh my... I think that's the first time I've ever heard someone tell somebody else to google me!

I'm glad you guys like the beans, but please remember that I wasn't the first one to put fruit pie filling in the bean pot. I don't know who first tried that, other than Jack's Old South down in Alabama (they used peach pie filling in theirs). The first one to try it had to be brave to do it, but I'm sure glad they did!

Keri C

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upon edit, since ya'll named this thread "Keri's Hog Apple Beans", I suppose it would be appropriate to actually put the recipe here.

2 (27 oz) cans Bush's Baked Beans
    1 lb. smoked leftover smoked pork or beef, more or less, or 1 lb crumbled cooked pork sausage (a maple fattie is good)
    1 can apple pie filling, pieces somewhat chopped up
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 c. brown sugar

Brown bacon, and saute onion and green pepper in bacon grease. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake at 325º for 1 hour, or simmer on stovetop in large pot for 30 minutes if you don't have time to do them in the oven. Serves 12.

This recipe began life as APPLE PIE BAKED BEANS from somewhere on the web, but I think I've made enough changes to it now to claim it as my own. This is my standard for baked beans anymore. Jack's Old South does something similar to this, but I understand that they use peach pie filling instead.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
    _____
    1 ECB circa 1981 (retired)
    1 Stumper clone, size XL
    1 Vermont Casting gas grill (in case of emergency)
    Last edited by Keri C; 07-05-2007 at 06:19 PM..

Ross