Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini question

Options
deez20
deez20 Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just picked up my mini egg today to go with my large. It came with the new handle and band and after putting it together the hinge seems kinda loose. The hinge is bolted down tight to the bands but there seems to be a little bit of movement left and right so the egg top doesn't always line up perfectly with the bottom. Not sure if this is normal on the mini or something is up with my hinge. The hinge has screws in it which I can try to tighten if this isn't normal.

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    That is the way mine is no big deal I just slide it left or right.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• mrdnks
    mrdnks Posts: 67
    Options
    mine is the same way, a little loose side to side.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Mine too.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • deez20
    deez20 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, guess it's a mini thing then.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Same issue here. I also had a harder time than expected spacing the top and bottom since you basically only have the top and bottom gasket width between the two bands. On my mini that means the bottom band sits a little high on the base. But like you, I thought my band was broken or defective, but I am accustomed to the wiggle now.
  • Central IL Egger
    Options
    Yep, I've had mine a week - same thing -
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    cookingdude555 wrote:
    I also had a harder time than expected spacing the top and bottom since you basically only have the top and bottom gasket width between the two bands.
    Hmm... That's not good. I have the same condition on our Small. It makes it difficult to get a decent gasket seal - and impossible to get a really good one. I guess I'll be sticking with the old style bands on the Mini. (And if anyone has some old style bands for a Small that they're not using I'd be interested in working out some kind of a swap - seriously.)
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Doug, I have the new bands on my small, absolutely no issues with them.
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    Do you mind posting a picture or two? I haven't seen any pictures of the new one..

Thanks!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I put the new bands on mine and noticed the same thing.
    But I do like it staying open and to open wider....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Mine has a little slop as well Mickey but does close tight no matter how it sits. I'm only using gasket on base and still no issues.
    I agree, stil a better design.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas