Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork - Questions

Options
ElDestructo
ElDestructo Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,

Just had the first light last weekend, some nice prime ribeyes and a spatchcock chicken. Both excellent!

A couple of questions, I'm planning on having 20 over next weekend and was planning on a pulled pork (I'm thinking about 9-10 lbs raw). That being said, I've been hashing out some sides options. Mac&Cheese, Potato/Pasta salad, corn. What are everyone's go to to accompany pork butt? I am planning on serving it on white rolls/buns. I was going to make up the two sauce types on Naked Whiz's site, and planning on applying Dizzy Dust.

Another question, I am probably going to cook something for Friday night and then put the butt on after. Assuming this will be ~20 hours, and want fresh lump (filled) do I just wait for the coals to cool and pull them out before adding fresh?

Comments

• evenwhenitsraining
    Options
    Dude-lot of questions! As far as sides, it is surely a sin if you do not serve coleslaw.

As far as cooking on your Egg before starting a long cook: I highly advise against it. It is much harder to produce the stable 225 that you're going to need when you're coming from a higher temp. You won't have a realistic way to determine how far open your drafts need to be because the whole set-up will be complicated by the pre-heated ceramic. You do want to sleep at some point don't you?

Just get some take-out for dinner or use your stove that night. You need to come at the low and slow temp that you need from below and then stabilize your egg.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    In terms of cooking the night before, you can easily run your Egg for 24+ hours on the same load of lump. If you cook something else at a low temp Friday night, just set up for the long cook ahead of time. Cook yourself some baby backs or a beef roast or something, then put in the butt and let it go.

-John
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    A couple of ways to look at what you want to do Fraiday night.
    You can do a quick, hot sear on a steak if you put your meat on as soon as you get up to temp but before the ceramics have a chance to get really hot.
    You can roast a chicken or anything else that you would do around 350 degrees, then put on your butt. Butts are very forgiving and an hour or so at a little higher temp won't hurt. Start with a full firebox and you should be fine. You want 250 dome temp for the butt.
    A wonderfuls side with pulled pork is "apple baked beans". You will find it on the search forum.

Hope this helps :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • ElDestructo
    Options
    Thanks all for the feedback. Maybe I'll just have to use propane on Friday night :)

I will make sure to have coleslaw and will check out the apple baked beans.
  • SRB Dave
    SRB Dave Posts: 10
    Options
    I hope I'm not talking out of turn here, being very new and all. But I just did two 9+ lbs butts for 12 hungry race fans and only had enough left for a couple lunches. You may want to rethink how much to prepare. Would others agree or was my effort that outstanding they couldn't stop themselves?

I was shocked after my first butt at just how much was lost to the egg gods for their share.

d
  • Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    Options
    I would definitely go with coleslaw as a side. If you haven't tried it on pulled pork, you really should. And what would a cook out be without baked beans, especially if you add a little BBQ sauce and pulled pork to the recipe. I also agree that you should cook up at least two butts. There is a lot of waste to them and who doesn't want leftovers. There are so many things you can make with pulled pork: burritos, chimis, scrambled eggs, or just pile it on a plate with a little sauce and coleslaw.
  • ElDestructo
    Options
    Thanks all, if I do happen to get two, I cook until the smaller one is done, is that right?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Double the amount of pork. You can always save any leftovers (if there ARE any).

The rub...
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Q sauce for the sandwiches as follows...
    1 ½ cups white vinegar
    1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
    1 ½ tbls sugar
    1 ½ tbls red pepper flakes
    1 ½ tbls bottled hot pepper sauce
    1 ½ tbls cayenne pepper (optional, might be too much heat for some)
    Salt and pepper to taste

GOT TO HAVE cole slaw. My preference is KFC style. I have that recipe somewhere too. If anyone's interested, I'll see if I can find it. Or you can just be lazy, as I often am, and buy it from them. Mine is better though. :)

Baked beans

French fries, though potato salad sounds good too.

Mac and cheese? Umm, no.

As for cooking Friday night, cook whatever you want. When you Trex a steak, you're at 650°-700° for the sear. You shut it down for 20 minutes and you're at 400° for the roast. I might not go to that extreme, but certainly a chicken @ 375° or a roast @ 325-350° would be manageable.

Oh, and you want 250°, not 225° for the butts.

Good luck - I KNOW you will enjoy!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I don't think that a 9-10 lb. butt will take that long....But you really never know!
    I just did two 9 pounders in a bit over 16 hrs. at 250 F. However, I put them on a bit hotter (about 400 F) as the fire got away from me during start up. No matter, I held 250 F. for better than 14 hours.
    As for a side: Cold slaw is always a great side and we just did a cheesy potato dish (requested by the honored of the "bash") that was a huge HIT!

Cheesy Potatoes per 9"x13" pan.
    Dad's Kitchen

2 lbs. potatoes, shredded

16 oz. Sour cream

1 can each; cream of chicken & celery

2 C. corn flakes

2 C. shredded cheddar

1 Med. onion, grated

Salt and pepper to taste

1)) Mix the soups, onion, sour cream and ½ C. shredded cheese

2)) Add the potatoes and mix. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese and crushed corn flakes

3)) Bake at 350 F. for 1 to 1-1/4 hours, until bubbling and browned on top
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Cook them til they are both done. Take them off as each one of them reaches 195-205.

Of course you can cook something the night before. Just go ahead and fill the egg all the way up. When you are done cooking Friday's meal, set your vents to 250 and throw the butts on. You'll be fine.
  • ElDestructo
    Options
    Thanks again everyone, final question. Do you all use a roasting rack (V) or just flat on the grid?
  • evenwhenitsraining
    Options
    I put it flat on the grill with a disposable aluminum drip pan underneath which I set on top of the platesetter under the grill.
  • ElDestructo
    Options
    Perfect, that was my plan too.