Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long should it take to get the temperature to

grillman16
grillman16 Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Again, I'm a newbie so please be kind..

From the time I light the lump charcoal...how long should it take to get the temperature to 600 - 650 degrees??? Also, how much lump charcoal does it take to make that temperature happen? Should the charcoal be arranged a certain way?

Thanks so much...

Comments

• Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    In sorting my charcoal I usually try to place some large pieces at the fire grate, then I pour in. I amnot as meticulous as some are. Some people organize like a puzzle, trying to fit pieces in perfectly. As far as time to get to 600* or so, it really depends on how you are lighting. With parrafin cubes, I would say 30 min or so, but with a torch, weedburner, or alcohol it can be achieved much quicker. Hope this helps. Good luck. Whatever methos you use, just make sure you have a clean burning fire before you place food on. the smoke should be clear or have a blue tinge coming out of chimney.
  • Cruzr
    Cruzr Posts: 91
    I load the same as Roll Tide, but use a MAPP torch, lighting the lump in 3-4 places, and hit 700* in about 20 minutes, with everything wide open.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

A log of all this is going to depend on what you use to light and how you light the lump.

The quickest I have been able to get my medium to and holding 700° is 13 minutes.

In that test I had some ash under the fire grate, new lump loaded to the top of the fire box. I used 2 (1/2 sheets) of paper twisted paper towel & oil placed about 1" down into the lump left and right of center. I left the end, center and end of each piece exposed to the air and the uncovered spots had 1 or 2 pieces of lump lightly placed over the towel.

If you want a hot fast light light in 4 or 5 places in the lump and light about 1" under the surface. You can get the thermometer to high temperatures and holding somewhat fast but is going to take some time to get the ceramics up and holding.

GG
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    For me I use an electric starter. Fits down into the charcoal better. Fastest time, totally cleaned out egg, lump up to the top of the firebox, 6 minutes with the started when pulled.

11 minutes total time for 700 degrees.