Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When can I cook again?

cookingdude555
cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just replaced the gasket on my mini with some Nomex BGE sent me for my large. I had to give it a haircut to make it small enough, and I had a little gap on the top dome, so we will see how this holds. Anyway, I used the 3M 77 stuff, and was wondering when I would be cooking again. Do you guys know how long I need to let the little guy cure before I can rip the temp up again? I had plans on using it Wednesday for sure, but I would like to use it again tomorrow ....

IMG00105-20100621-2324.jpg

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Do you have enough gasket to replace the gasket on the large?? I would have replaced the gasket on my large first. The mini is pretty much a searing machine, gasket or not....the large however, can be low and slow, baking, roasting, or searing. The gasket is more important there. I think it's 24 hours set up time...hopefully somebody with more gasket experience will chime in...but I sure wouldn't take it to rocket temps at first.
  • cookingdude555
    Not enough to replace the Large, but the Large was in better shape. I caught the mini gasket on fire last week with a weed burner lighting experiment :huh: . I wanted to see how well the gasket would hold on the egg that I take to the hottest temp, then I will order a bunch of that Aramid if I like it and do the other eggs.

24 hrs, I kind of thought that deep down, I guess I will wait until Wednesday.
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    24 hours is way good enough. Mine was kind of stinkiny the first time I fired it up so be prepared for that. After the first fire its been fine though.

Kevin
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    I never could keep the top gasket glued on with the Super 77. Every time i went past 500 degrees it would come off, so I ripped it of and only have a gasket on the bottom...been cooking for months with no problem or leaks....just a thought
  • cookingdude555
    I am not really a "gasket is necessary" kind of person, but when I put the new bands on this old mini, the failed felt gasket caused some dome to base alignment issues (the old double hinged band barely let me open it up). So to remove the massive gap, I decided to replace it. Having a gasket might change my opinion and I will probably replace the other two on the large and the small. The small is the worst. I bought it about three months ago, and I am almost down to bare ceramic on the base and the dome. What’s left is there because it hasn’t blown away yet, its kind of just baked on. I don’t want to chip the ceramic if I let go on accident during a flashback. I did that a few weeks ago on my Large and it kind of scared me.
  • cookingdude555
    Fired it up tonight, since it was pretty easy to change the gasket, I thought, why not nuke it out? I took it up to 800 before shutting it down. I have a raised grid using an extra fire ring, so I think that protected the gasket. But I was able to burn out the old bits of gasket that fell in the firebox and any stray drops of 3M 77. That mini is fun ...

After pic
    0dc23c4a.jpg