Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket: Great at 6 horrible at 4

Options
David from RI
David from RI Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

FIrst: Thanks to all who have shared. My second pork butt was a dream, I need to look no further for rubs after trying all the dizzy pig flavors, and a class act with followup and great service.[p]I just resarched the archives and really can't find out what I need to know.[p]I did a brisket , about 7 lbs. Overnight cook, and at 6AM yesterday is was photo quality. I wanted to serve it at 4PM. I didn't slice, heated it for about 15 minutes and it was horrible. All dried out and stringy. My internal at 6AM was 195.00[p]My question what is the best way to hold brisket that is to be served at a later time.[p]Thanks
David

Comments

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    David from RI,
    A lot of variables here. Photo quality doesn't necessarily translate into taste quality. Did it pass the fork test at 195 (maybe 200 was better)? I've never held anything beyond 4 hours, nor read about longer holds, so your 10 hours might have overcooked it. Most of the time my briskets take 1 1/2 hours per pound (sounds like yours did also). Therefore, most under 8 lbs can be cooked without going through the night. I'll be interested to hear what others think. Good luck with the next one

• Billy
    Billy Posts: 68
    Options
    David from RI,
    I had pretty much the same experience with my brisket yesterday. I had a 10 pounder and cooked it at about 200 degrees for 15 hours. It was incredibly moist but it just fell apart. I was really looking forward to a meat I could slice and serve by the slice and instead I would have been better off pulling it for sandwiches.[p]I hope to see some replies here from some brisket pros because I'd sure like to conquer that one.[p]Billy in Atlanta

• David from RI
    Options
    Marvin,[p]What your saying makes sense. I did overcook, and maybe for the next time I should plan on having it come off closer to dinner.
    It did pass the fork test. and I did slice off a couple of small pieces and they were fine at 6.[p]David

• Alan
    Alan Posts: 72
    Options
    David from RI,[p]The fork test is the best way to tell when done.[p]What has worked well for me in the past is to take the brisket off when done, wrap it in foil tightly, wrap an old towel around it and put it in a small cooler. I've held it for 3 hours before with no problem.[p]I always do this for at least an hour anyway, because it really makes the meat juicy.[p]Hope this helps,
    Alan

• Madhatter
    Madhatter Posts: 139
    Options
    David from RI,
    I attended Dr.BBQ's and Chris Lilly's class this weekend, they pulled their brisket and pork shoulder off at 6AM, wraped in foil and put in an ice chest. They served them at 2PM, they were the juciest and best I have ever had...

• David from RI,
    What's the fork test?