Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Toys - Made Honey-Lemon Glazed Lamb Chops

FearlessGrill
FearlessGrill Posts: 695
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I finally broke down and picked up an adjustable rig and all the toys to go with it. Unpacked it yesterday, and decided to cook something that would take advantage of it's capabilities. Since I was only cooking for the two of us, I didn't need to make 6 pork butts or something of that nature, so I decided to play with the ability to change the level of the meat while cooking. I had some lamb chops in the fridge, and decided to sear them on the spider down near the coals, then raise them up to the top of the rig and coat them with a honey-lemon glaze. I left my dome temp at 400 throughout the cook.

Here's the rig and spider looking shiny and ready to be used. Hey ... where'd my gasket go? :)

4723742335_67417a681b.jpg

Here are the chops searing on the spider. I used the grid off my small Egg, since I haven't gotten a chance to pick up a small CI grid yet. I know this is bad for the coating on the grid, but that one lost most of its coating long ago, unless you count rust as a coating.

4724394826_f36d5841df.jpg

After searing about 90 seconds per side, I pulled the chops up to the top of the rig on my large grid, and applied the glaze to both sides. I flipped them after 2 minutes, glazing both sides again.

4723742773_b5fa253563.jpg

Here they are plated over the remaining glaze and some fresh thyme.

4724395258_372628018b.jpg

For those who are interested, the glaze consisted of
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 serrano chile, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped

Before cooking, I rubbed the chops in my greek rub, which is:

3 parts kosher salt
3 parts coarsely ground black pepper
1 part garlic powder
1 part dried oregano
1 part dried thyme

I really liked the versatility this method provides, since you can sear and roast without having to wait to bring the temp down. Can't wait to try some more cooks like this. Thanks Tom!

-John

Comments