Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Shoulder CLOD

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
"CLOD" what I'm feeling right now. I've had my large BGE about a month now and I'm still learning "low and slow" with smoke. I thought I'd try a beef brisket, but all I saw in my local store was a 10 lb. Beef Shoulder CLOD. I thought brisket=shoulder, but now I see I am wrong. Should I cook it using the Beef Brisket recipe by Nature Boy in my BGE Operating Manual? Or is there another way? If it is going to cook for 10+ hours should I inject it with something? If so what? All help would be appreciated.

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    unconundrum has done more clods than you can shake a fork at.. i will try to get you some help.
    bill
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Clod is my favorite! I'm getting too old for the low and slow, and would bet some comp. guys would tell you they would never get to the judge's table if they did it that way.

(Never mind how I treated it beforehand) I start brisket or clod indirect with heavy smoke at about 200 - 225 for about two hours. Smoke is really absorbed in the first couple of hours. Then wrap and kick up to 300+ with polder in place until internal temp is about 185/190. Then unwrap, stoke the fire, and sear (like Trex) for 1-2 minutes on each side. Then re-wrap and let rest.

Probably totally unorthodox, but works for me. It's the way I like my brisket; fat and juicy. BTW, I never mess with flats...too dry, too quickly in my opinion.

Send me a pic.

Mike
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    I do them at about 235.... till done ;) I trim it fairly well, getting the clumps of fat and silver skin out from between the muscles, and then I tie it back up. I love DP Red Eye Express on mine. Oh... I add about 4 chunks of wood, usually cherry, at the start. I injected one, but didn't really notice a difference.

Here's a pile of beef we did for a community meal...

web.jpg?ver=12600623170001

web.jpg?ver=12600623860001

Here's one seasoned up:

P1030427.JPG

Ready to take off the egg.

P1030497.JPG

Ready to slice:

P1030498.JPG

Mmmmm.

P1020939.JPG
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    My freakin Kroger says they will not sell me a whole CLOD cause they break em down and make MUCH more money! :angry: I'm gonna try a local butchershop! :P
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    Steve Reichlen does a shoulder clod on BBQ "U". try to hulu online his show and you can see how he did it. I wanna know where I can buy a clod in Atlanta. ;)
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Restaurant Depot carries all the clods you could ever want in the Atlanta and many other areas.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    you can cook it like a pork butt. wrap at 180 and continue cooking til about 210. it will pull at those temps like pulled pork. i add a few tbls seltzer water for the foil stage, if you add any more liquid than that it will taste like a pot roast instead of pulled beef.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ArchaeoTom
    Options
    Thanks LawnRanger. This sounds interesting. -ArchaeoT
  • ArchaeoTom
    Options
    Wow, great photos. Clearly you are not intimidated by a pile of meat. Thanks for the advice.
  • ArchaeoTom
    Options
    I'll see if I can find the show. Thanks for the advice.
  • ArchaeoTom
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Clearly I have some experimenting to do. Good point about pot roast.