Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

medium BGE setup w/o platesetter

Options
jrterrier
jrterrier Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying out a 7 blade potroast with as long and slow as I have time for... three to four hours... but I will keep an eye on how it is progressing earlier than that. [p]I do not have a platesetter, so I am improvising. I took the handle off of an old, but good, teflon frypan for a catch pan, and set that on the cooking grid. I then put a grid from our old, yellow J**N A*R range. (An item I was tempted to paint yellow and use to hold up our mailbox, but a spot on the rifle range would be just as appropriate. In other words, a target!) On top of the grid, I put the pot roast, seasoned, of course (with Johnnie's Dock Seasoning Salt). I have it cooking at approx. 230 degrees. So far, so good. I figure on more seasoning (garlic) and wrapping it in an hour and a half, or two, depending on how it is looking. I figure it should be a nice brown, but not dry when I wrap it, so will be checking to see when it reaches this point. I am doing this by feel... not a recipe. [p]I will welcome all thoughts and ideas.
BTW, those old grill grids from that old range will make nice grill/grid marks on the next steaks I cook! [p]And the new seals are working much better than what was left of the old one. LOL LOL LOL...... [p]Thanks, Bonnie

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    jrterrier,
    Sounds like a plan. This egg business has a learning curve that never ends. Always something new or some little thing that changes your best laid plans. [p]But, you are improvising, and it's gonna work! [p]The platesetter is a nice addition, and worth the money. It does a great job, it's a very functional piece of equipment. I use mine regular. (I also use a broken pizza stone on top of the platesetter to catch any drippings and to add mass) Both are covered with tin foil.[p]Good luck![p]Mike in MN....on my way out to dinner.

• jrterrier
    Options
    My original thought of 2.5 hours was perfect. It just hit the 160 degree mark and is now sitting under foil and a couple of towels while the rest of dinner is cooking. We had to sample the corner that seemed tough with a fork while removing it from the BGE. Tough, it is not. It is as tender as any prime rib we have eaten, and probably more so than many. Juicy too. Not that stringy dry overcooked type potroast that I have eaten as seldom as necessary, and not the steam cooked type either that one gets with a lot of added liquids. I didn't get to the garlic stage, but who cares. This is one tasty bit of meat... and it is a big potroast, weighing about 6 pounds, and the butcher had removed some of the bones to make it fit on their foam trays. Sandwiches for a week for the two of us. Unless our youngest son should happen to show up and help himself. Oh my, maybe I should hide it![p]The bread machine is going to be making dough for rolls and bread early tomorrow morning so lunch can be sandwiches. We don't buy bread often anymore. I found a store that has a machine for grinding your own whole wheat and it is absolutely the best. It makes bread to die for, soft, tender, and fresh, and now meat that way too. A sandwich that will melt in yer mouth. What more could anyone want?[p]Bonnie