Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thin crust pizza

Options
Serial Griller
Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I like a relatively thick crust with a crunchy bottom and chewy on top.But I had to try this flour.It was a lot easier to handle than regular bread or white flour.Tossed easily.Nice crispy credit card thin crust . These people have great customer service and products.
http://www.pennmac.com/items/3202/
P1010083-1.jpg
pepperoni
P1010098-1.jpg
P1010084-1.jpg
portabella mushrooms and artichoke hearts
P1010099-1.jpg
pizza margherite
P1010102-1.jpg

Comments

• PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Are there instructions on the package, or can you offer the crust recipe? I'm not far from Penn Mac, in Beaver Falls. I "strip" often.
    PattyO
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    This is from Forno Bravo wood fired oven site. 00 flour is especially suited to high temp cooks. Higher than even the EGG can get comfortably. I'm still experimenting.

Using Antico Molino Caputo Tipo 00 Pizza Flour
    Use Caputo Tipo 00 flour the same way you would use either general purpose, or bread flour, though you will see a
    number of differences in how it behaves compared with American flours.
    It hydrates very well. You will find yourself adding more water to your dough than you are accustomed. You want to
    make a moist, almost sticky dough. You can use flour to keep it from sticking to your hands or your work surface.
    It is very silky and soft. You can make great pizza dough without adding olive oil. Experiment with added olive oil, but
    definitely try it without. If you are used to throwing your pizzas, you will see that the dough needs gentle handling.
    It is very extensible. The flour is selected and milled to be easily shaped into a pizza base. You should not over work
    the dough. It will spring in the oven. The soft, well-hydrated, extensible dough will puff around the outside rim of the
    pizza where you do not have sauce.
    And the taste is great.
    Basic Vera Pizza Napoletana Dough Recipe
    Ingredients
    By Volume
    • 4 cups Molino Caputo Tipo 00 flour
    • 1 ½ cups, plus 2-3 Tbs water
    • 4 tsp salt
    • 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
    By Weight
    • 500gr Molino Caputo Tipo 00 flour
    • 325gr water (65% hydration)
    • 10gr salt
    • 3gr dry active yeast
    We highly recommend cooking by weight. It is fast, and easy to get the exact hydration (water to flour ratio) and dough
    ball size you want. Personally, I do not use recipes or a mixing cup when I cook dinner for the family, but pizza and
    bread dough are different. Being exact counts, and nothing works better than a digital scale.
    Mix the dough in a stand mixer, by hand or in a bread machine. If you are using a stand mixer, mix it slowly for two
    minutes, until you have made a ball. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes, to allow the flour to absorb the water. Then,
    mix at a middle speed (3 or 4 on a KitchenAid) for 5 minutes, and slow for 2 minutes.
    Shape the dough into a ball, place it in a slightly oiled bowl, cover it with a towel, and let it rise for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or
    until double. Punch it down and push out the air bubbles. Form the dough into a large ball, then cut it into 4-5 equal
    pieces.
    To make your pizza balls, shape each piece of dough into a ball. Gently shape your dough into a ball, then stretch the
    top of the ball down and around the rest of the ball, until the outer layer wraps around the other side. Pinch the two
    ends together to make a smooth ball with a tight outer "skin." Set your ball seam-side down where it can rest. Dust
    your pizza balls with flour, and store them under a damp towel, in a proofing tray, or under plastic wrap. This will
    prevent the outside of the ball from drying out and creating a crust, and becoming difficult to work with. The top of the
    pizza ball should be soft and silky.
    Your pizza balls will need to rest for about an hour to become soft and elastic, so that they can be easily stretched into
    a thin crust pizza.
    If you don’t need your pizza balls for a few hours, you should refrigerate them, and bring them back out of the
    refrigerator an hour or so before you want to use them.
    Try making your pizza balls the day before you need them. Overnight refrigeration helps the dough develop more
    flavor, and a fully developed dough browns better in your oven.

Personal note. It is far better to make them the night before. I've gone 2 - 3 nights with no problem.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    That's exactly the dough recipe I used from your site.Can't wait to do it again.
  • kricks
    Options
    How hot was your EGG? Setup? and how long did you have it in? Curious minds want to know. 00 flour is serious stuff!
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    My egg was at 550' I had a plate setter, firebrick spacers and 16" pizza stone I think the small pies were in for 6-8 minutes and the larger pie about 8-10 minutes.
    The crust was very crisp, not burnt.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    I lost the pic of the crust but found it.
    Here it is.
    P1010100-1.jpg
  • kricks
    Options
    That's perfect. Don't you love it when a plan comes together.

Kevin
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Those look great Jon!! Peperoni looks killer!!
    I just tried calling you ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Isn't this an oxymoron or something? :)

P1010084-1.jpg

The pizzas look great though!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Margherita & pepperoni = misnomer
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    that is a good lookin' pie
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    Options
    looks great!

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Nice pizzas and nice pics Jon! Now you'll be in a crust conundrum the next time you fix a pizza.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Thanks for the comments.I love cooking pizza on the egg.It just tastes bettter.