Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Week One Down -- Loving It!

ShinAmano
ShinAmano Posts: 90
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I have been looking at getting an egg for well over a year...the old gas grill finally kicked the bucket about a month ago and I pulled the trigger on a Large Egg and a place setter since my friend said it was a necessity.

Before I got the egg I started on 'The Naked Wiz' large egg table plans and I am just about finished with that and it is looking fantastic (I will post pics when complete).

Anyhow on to the good stuff (will get some pics soon)...on the Mmmm scale ;)

Day 1 - Started simple and did some steak/pork kabobs and corn on the cob. Mmmm

Day 2 - Moved on to a marinated pork tenderloin with roasted red potatoes. MMmm

Day 3 - Super Simple marinated chicken breasts. Mmm

Day 4 - Friend brought over a pork tenderloin (4lbs holy hell) that we stuffed with swiss cheese and prosciutto and then wrapped in bacon. Sides asparagus and red potatoes. MMMm

Day 5 - Busted out some beer can chicken (basil and rosemary in the can...agave nectar and sriracha on the bird)...WOW. MMMM

Anyhow only issue I had was on Day 5 when the fire just seemed to slowly go away. I had BGE lump to just over the air holes on the fire box and the bird was only out there for about 3 hours at 350...not sure what happened.

Love the egg...more importantly I love the food that comes off of it.

This week:
-Steak
-Pizza
-Brats
-Another beer can chicken with different flavors.

:laugh:

Edit: Also my plate setter has accumulated a few drippings...what is the best way to clean it?

Comments

• Cruzr
    Cruzr Posts: 91
    I can answer one of those. Clean the placesetter by firing that puppy up. It's ceramic if its the BGE PS and heat cleans it good.
  • ShinAmano
    Nice...that sounds like a plan. Yeah everything is BGE at this point.
  • texasAUtiger
    texasAUtiger Posts: 154
    Congrats on one week down!

I have had my egg for 6-7 months and have cooked on it at least 3 times a week (on average) over that time. You have a lot of fun---and good eating---to look forward to.

I'd try a low and slow (e.g. a pork butt) soon.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Here's a guess about day 5 problem. Often times the fire will burn towards the center. If you had about a half a fire box of lump, a center burn fire would use up the lump and start going out. Its a common problem with lo-n-slo overnighters. Start with enough lump to fill half way up the fire ring, and 4-5 hours later, no fire. Upon inspection, there is just a column of ash in the center, and plenty of lump all around.

Keep a metal rod around, and wiggle it thru the grill into the lump, and stir the coals if the fire seems to be dropping off.

That may also cure another probably cause, the air holes becoming clogged with ash.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Congrats on the first week, it will just get better from here!!
    your platesetter will be clean after your pizza cook. as was mentioned, you probably had a center burn, light your lump in several places, and post some pics.
    have fun
  • BobbyC
    BobbyC Posts: 3
    newbie on day 3 with BGE...gift for father's day. Been looking at them for about a year also. Introduced to it by a friend. Day one was chicken thighs with a dry rub and grilled romaine...day 2 father's day was marinated flank steak....love the way the BGE cooks...its amazing...most of all the kids really like how it makes foods taste better.
  • ShinAmano
    Thanks for the posts. I do plan to try a low and slow bbq pork butt soon.

Looks like I need a poker...should be pretty easy to find one of those.

Couple of quick pics...did not get ones of the stuffed loin or the beer can chicken...and none of the table yet but I will have more soon.
    4699840586_89d6e0d1c1.jpg

4699208917_0e330100e8.jpg