Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEVER lean over the opening of a hot, closed egg

SomedayMommy
SomedayMommy Posts: 199
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This will surely sound like one of those DUH! moments, but I had my fire going really, really hot to sear some strip streaks.

Per the T-Rexing method, I wanted to be sure I had that "lava" going at 700 degrees.

You know where this is going. I leaned over to look down the chimney, and I started hearing some cracking. It was my hair singeing!!!!

So note to nebs such as myself, DO NOT try to get a peak down the chimney when it's hot!!!

Comments

• "Listening" to a hot fire is also a bad idea. :(
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Good way to get an eye full of sparking lump as well.
    Glad it was just a little hair.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Hey I could get rid of ear hair that way. :woohoo: Maybe I could hear better then. :huh:
  • 2Fategghead
    Stacie, I have seen when an egg starving for air suddenly gets air and flames shoot out of the dome chimney and the same happens out the lower damper. Some here have had their eyebrows singed off. :(
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Yeah and never stand directly in front of the lower vent of a hot Egg with shorts on unless you want to tryout a new hair removal method. :ohmy:
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    You really do have to be careful. I've had a few times recently where I was trying to get high temps and started getting flames out of the top around 350° as the temperature really started to climb.
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Might I recommend the use of a mirror to peak down the hole. Much easier on the eyes and hair. :)
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    I had a flashback in the lower vent. It scared the living begeegees out of me. Thankfully, I was standing to the side :).

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• JB
    JB Posts: 510
    Ouch! That's great advice. Here's what's coming out the top at that dome temp... easy to see in the dark, different story in daylight!

Ribroast12-23-09006.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    That is sooo not funny! But please let me know if either of those things work. :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    Tom, I was bringing my egg up to a high temp one time using used lump. After I got the fire going I closed the dome with the bottom damper wide open and the dmft off. It seemed like forever for the temp to begin to come up before I closed the spark screen. All of a sudden the egg seemed to come to life and belched out some burning pieces of lump with a flame that shot out the bottom three feet. I had the hair on my legs singed and I had to put out at least four places that had a tiny piece of lump burning in my indoor outdoor carpet. Needless to say if a little kid was standing there I would hate to say what would have happened. I forbid myself to walk away from my egg until it is stable. Tim
  • 2Fategghead
    What?! :woohoo: :lol:
  • Thanks for the tip - from a newbie...
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    last christmas eve we were cooking lobster - jacob takes a photo of the cooking lobster tails through the opening in top of egg - snapped the photo - said, "cool" and then said, "granddaddy, you might want to wipe the lens on your camera!"

mr toad

DSCN2007.jpg
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    great photo - good visual - - warning and advice

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large