Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to buy the best lump charcoal

PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been using Home Depot "Cowboy" brand of lump. I see in Nakedwhiz page that it has a low ranking for burntime. Where can I get the better brands? Do you think the BGE brand is over priced for the novelty of the brand name? I want to get this right! And yes, I did clean out the firebox for next time I light it up. Hoping for a much hotter fire.
PattyO

Comments

• I had the exact same experience with Cowboy. I also found it took a long time for the smoke to clear and the mesquite smell was a little too strong.

I picked up 60lbs of Royal Oak at Walmart yesterday. It has ~4/5 on the NakedWhiz site (still haven't used it)
  • PattyO
    Great. Wally World is as close as Home Depot.
    PattyO
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    And you live where? That would help. Cowboy should be hot enough, just doesn't last long.

Mike
  • It wasn't with the BBQs - the only stuff they had back there was briquettes. I had to go to the garden center to find it.

It was something like $6.50 for a 10lb bag.

I've read (here) that all Wally's don't sell it. It may be worth while calling ahead.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Patty,

RO has run about 80% for me. 80% great and 20% like a buncha peas. :unsure:

I pay about 50 cents a pound, so it's all good. I buy it to mix with Wicked Good. :)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Menards, if you have one close . . .

RoadTrip5.jpg

RO Steakhouse, 8.8#, $4.64
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • PattyO
    My WWorld has it. 10#/$6.37. I'm off. The masters can wait. I'll stock up.
    Thank you all.
    I'm in Beaver Falls, PA No Menards here.
    PattyO
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    I have been purchasing Royal Oak (same as BGE) gor $6.50 bag at Walmart. I also seem to get good burns from Kroger Brand.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    My aunt and I were shopping yesterday and she mentioned that she went to Wal-Mart to buy RO, and was told they don't carry it anymore. The kid who helped her stated that all they had now was the twin pack of Kingsford, and it was in every nook and cranny of the store.

Menards carries the steakhouse stuff in the green bag....is it as good?
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    THANK GOODNESS! I only have 2 1/2 bags left, I was starting to wonder where I was gonna get my stuff!
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I've been unable to find RO at Wal-Mart in Kansas City (northland). Haven't tried them all, though. Found the RO Steakhouse Lump at Menards in St Joe for less than $5 for an 8.8 lb (green) bag but it's not rated as highly by Naked Whiz (more small pieces). Did find Frontier Lump on sale for $5 at Ace. Anybody have a good source for the "Good" RO in the KC Northland?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Last day of Spring....Time to load up for the Winter :silly:
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Sam's has Frontier in 40# bag for i think $13.95 which is a great price and the whiz rates it avg.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    If you have Kroger stores in your area their private label brand of lump is RO. Usually about half the price of BGE, same stuff. RO makes BGE lump ;) Go figure B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • I buy Ozark Oak (highly recommended by Whiz) from Amazon. Not cheap. About $14 for 10 lbs. I think I am being ripped off but the stuff is darn good. I am in Eastern PA. Does anyone know of a comparable lump for a better price locally?
  • Nuthin the matter with cowboy. Lighter lump is faster to high heat but won't burn as long. Denser lump is much longer to temp, but burns forever. In my experience, they are all of a family. Similar, but different, with their own strengths and weaknesses.

And they all vary from bag to bag in terms of size. I have been disappointed by each, with a dust bag of small bits, and opened the next bag to find nice big chunks.
    About the only thing that is guaranteed junk is south American royal oak.

Royal oak is oak, BGE is royal oak in an expensive bag, and cowboy is maple andoak. No mesquite in cowboy, FWIW
  • PattyO
    It's the vanity name you are paying for BGE. I generally buy generic. I know Walmart doesn't have a charcoal factory. Or a sugar or flour or mustard or cheese factory either. I did get three bags of Royal Oak at Wally's after all your replies. It is well rated, Highly Recommended. I should be OK, along with the full bag I still have of Cowboy, Average rating.
    Thanks all.
    PattyO
  • texasAUtiger
    texasAUtiger Posts: 154
    40 lb bag of Frontier for about $14 at my Sam's Club... works just fine for me and is pretty much neutral on the flavor scale. The price is great IMO.
  • My local ace hardware now stocks frontier. I just grabbed my second bag. Last time i was there I bought cowboy and fronteir for the same price. Was pleasantly surprised. I think the frontier might be source from some south American stuff I dunno. Seemed much denser than most. Heavy for its size

I used it with pizza and it lasted nice and long. Nice to find a dense lump for the same price as the lighter cowboy. Now I have a couple different horses in the stable.

Most of the south American stuff is ashy. The frontier didn't seem ashy at all, though I'm only guessing it's got some south American in it
  • DrRyan
    DrRyan Posts: 2
    I just read this thread for the first time today as I am tired of paying for the BGE name for good charcoal and I do not like Ono lump at all, sparks way too much.

Do any of your know if/where Royal Oak can be found in Arizona? Thanks in advance for any replies that can help me find some good lump at a more reasonable price.

Ryan