Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Composite Decking for Table?

Options
dclarkbama
dclarkbama Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I just purchased my first XL BGE today and will get it this week. I am looking at all of your plans but haven't seen anyone use a composite deck material for the top (Trex, ChoiceDek, etc.). Is there a reason for this? Does the heat effect it? Is it not strong enough? Any assistance will be appreciated.

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I have never really worked with composite decking, but I think the consensus is that it is not particularly good for any type of "furniture", for the reasons you mentioned B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Unknown
    Options
    You just need to ensure that you have enough spacing between the egg and the composite. Some composite starts to melt at 330F. As long as you have sufficient space between the egg and the table, and have the egg on a paving stone WITH feet, I would think you would be good.

I like composite. Unless you go bat crazy varnishing wood, they can look like hell after a couple years. Better living though chemistry.

http://www.correctdeck.com/products/tech/msds.htm
  • Eggtoven
    Eggtoven Posts: 2
    Options
    framing requirements on composite is different when building a deck so i would imagine that an xl would need different bracing underneath the egg to help support it. i wouldn't recommend it also because of the heat issue. the whole would have to be pretty big not to have some heat transfer from egg to composite.
  • loxic
    loxic Posts: 25
    Options
    BGETable.jpg

I got plans for this table from the naked whiz I had to modify in order to adapt for the dimensions of Trex decking. I was worried about melting as well but have had no issues. Staining is another issue though. Grease will stain composite very easily. I will be making another table this winter using ipe and either concrete or a natural stone counter. Hope this helps good luck.
  • Tmore
    Tmore Posts: 6
    Options
    I was thinking about doing the same thing, so I checked the specs on Trex. The flashpoint is somewhere around 700 degrees so I would think it wouldn't melt any.

Not sure about the grease stains, though....was going to build a table today and I may re-think using the trex.
  • dclarkbama
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I found a company in town that is making egg tables and selling them on e-bay. I was able to buy one directly from his shop at a price lower than what I had priced materials. His e-bay listings can be found at http://shop.ebay.com/jeffdesigns/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340.