Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade rubs

Options
hizzoner
hizzoner Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been experimenting with making my own rubs and have about got them where I like them. I've actually been thining about buying some plastic jars and having someone make some labels and giving them away as gifts. Anyone else done this?

I have a beef/pork rub and a chicken rub. I use a basic set of ingredients for both and change the chicken up a little:

Sea Salt
Course Ground Black Pepper
Paprika
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
Ground Mustard
Red Pepper
Ground Cilantro
Thyme (for the chicken rub)
Sage (for the chicken rub)

and Chipotle Chili Powder that really adds a good flavor

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Yes. Have had a friend make some labels on his mac and they print 10 per page. Forget Avery number.After several years of doing on his computer, took to a commercial print shop and they did me a batch with a laser and the ink does not run when wet.

I might suggest that you get some 3 X 5 inch 2mil plastic bags and test the waters. Jars can get eggpensive, if you are just doing for friends and family look around and save the spice jars you normally use if they are the right size. I have a few friends that save me empty Dizzy Pig containers..

There are several sources for jars on google. Contact me off line and maybe have some more ideas.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I think you have the right mind set of doing it as gifts - trying to go into that business is more expensive than what you might think. Blue Smoke - an egger - used to produce a wonderful rub that I thought I could not live without when he announced he was folding his tent. After getting the formula from him I bought enough spices to make a couple large batches - that cost me about $200. I then bought plastic containers from this place: http://www.spicebarn.com/

IMO the 1 oz is too small for someone to really give your rub a good taste try, but the 3.5 oz is ideal. I must have given away 3 dozen of them, but only 4 people wanted more and were willing to pay for the 8 oz containers.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • hizzoner
    hizzoner Posts: 182
    Options
    Naaaah, I'd never sell it. If I sold it, it would become a job and I got one of them. I'd strictly want to bottle to give away as gifts to friends/family.
  • EggerFromIowa
    Options
    You might want to send some to your fellow eggers to have them try it out first. I'd hate for you to waste your time if it doesn't taste good. I'll send you my address :)