Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Strange table ad

Options
GaryBushey
GaryBushey Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just saw an ad for a BGE table that said patent pending. I could not for the life of me figure out what was so special about it that it could get a patent. Then again, this is the US where there is a patent on swinging on a swing so who knows

http://www.mykamadotable.com/

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I've often wondered if saying patent pending has any legal standing - I mean if I make something which I think I will try to get a patent on when I have time to apply for one then in my mind I could say patent pending. Personally I don't see anything about those metal cabinet that make them unique and subject to protection of a patent. Maybe a legal beagle here can address this or let's ask Leroy who has been an inventor...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Great uggly moogly - they are right proud of those tables..
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Whoo Doggiiees! What a price! :ohmy: But their literature says it has room for a propane bottle, maybe that explains it! :woohoo: :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    FYI - "patent pending" means that the inventor has filed the necessary paperwork & paid the requisite fines (errr, "fees") with the US PTO (Patent & Trademark Office), but that the USPTO hasn't gotten around to actually "granting" the inventor said patent.

Patent Pending has legal protection for a person's invention, meaning you cannot go out & copy his invention because, while it has not yet been granted a patent, there is one in process.

Ahhhh, the wheels of our big Fed. Gubment do move slowly, eh!! :whistle:
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    The propane bottle is for hooking up the weed burner so that's alright. B)

Doug
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Our very own Tulsa Murf is involved in the design and promotion of the table. He actually brought one to the Oklahoma Eggfest. Pretty cool.

The 'patient' it speaks of is a 'design patient.' In other words, you can get a design patient on a chair if you want but you can't get a utility patient on a chair because it is already invented.

Obviously, a utility patient must meet much more rigorous standards in order to be able to claim that it provides something that no other device in the world can do.

It's not easy to get a utility patient but you can learn more about it at: http://www.uspto.gov/

Spring "Inventor Of Many Things Unpursued" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Spring Chicken pretty much explained it. He has applied for a design patent which only protects the APPEARANCE of the item, not the function it serves. Richard Johnson of Kamado is always claiming to be the original patent holder for the kamado style cooker, but what he obtained was merely a design patent which protected the appearance of his cooker. Another gentleman (Farhad Sazegar) actual held the utility patent which protects what the device does, as opposed to how it looks.

I think a good example of this is the bottle. You could not patent a bottle since bottles have been in use for thousands of years. But if you are Coke and you want to protect the shape of your Coke bottle, you can get design patent so no one can make a bottle that looks just like yours. And in fact, Coke did just that.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Jimmys Egg
    Jimmys Egg Posts: 17
    Options
    Indeed it was TulsaMurph and he put me onto this great table. Its the best one I have run across! It has a stainless steel top with galvanized steel base that's powder coated - very professional "Outdoor Kitchen" looking.
    IMG00023-20100516-1743.jpg
    The base is a cabinet with space for dry storage of charcoal and lots of Eggcessories. I can store my plate setter and pizza stone vertically and protected.
    Storage.jpg
    It also has a drawer where I store the cast iron grill, grill extenders, rib racks, etc.
    Drawer.jpg
    I use the extra space to store my tank from my old rusted out grill and a torch for quick lighting. The torch is hooked to the tank via a hose.
    Torch.jpg
    I got mine from the local dealer and saw it at the Oklahoma Egg Fest. TulsaMurph says they have 5 or so different design patent applications in. From a legal standpoint, it is indeed illegal to say "Patent Pending" if you don't actually have an application in.
    The price is not bad for what you get. If you compare it to the large wooden cypress table from BGE and add their new stainless top, you have $598.45 for the table and $239.95 for the stainless top. If you buy them as a set, I have seen it for $838.40. The MyKamadoTable.com price is $1200 - so that's basically $361.60 for the heavy duty cabinet below the table and all the features. Perhaps this is just purchase justification, but I really like mine.
    IMG00024-20100516-1744.jpg
    Jimmy's Egg
  • TulsaMurph
    TulsaMurph Posts: 131
    Options
    Greetings Eggers,
    I have not posted in a while; been really busy with the new project we call a house!

Yes, I love my table, and had a hand in the design. It was designed specifically for eggers with input from eggers, so that it would have all the right stuff in all the right places. Three things really stand out. You have enough room to store charcoal AND a propane tank for lighting the grill, plus a plate setter and pizza stone. In addition, there is a huge drawer for all the goodies we used to store in the old propane cooker, (utensils, etc.,) and finally, the table top is so sturdy, you can actually pound pork chops out flat with a meat cleaver, as I do to make my pork roll-ups. Pork is tougher than chicken, so you have to hammer it out pretty hard. This can cause a mess in the kitchen, so it is nice to be able to do it outside. At previous eggfests, I was always the guy knocking stuff off the table as a result of the bouncing of all of the other stuff on the table, but the table from MyKamadoTable.com is stout enough to handle the punishment.

the stainless top is easy to disinfect, and it looks pretty slick, as well. Also, the metal is galvanized, then powder coated to help it last a long time, and the fasteners are all stainless steel. This is a first class table made right here in the USA, which still means a lot to me.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions, I would be happy to help in any way I can.

Happy Egging!
    John