Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky!!!

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This week I am gonna do some jerky with part of that sirloin tip roast I have. I really look forward to it, as it is a first for me.[p]Gonna do half with Gfw's River City Jerky Part 2, and maybe half of it with this recipe that I am posting a link for. [p]This Thai Jerkey sounds great (right up your alley Rhum & Jerk).[p]Any tips yall can throw out on cooking jerky are appreciated. (I have been looking at Gfw's site).[p]Thanks. NB

[ul][li]Thai Beef Jerky YUMMMMM![/ul]
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    All right, that does sound good. I would skip the liquid smoke, Yuk.
    I may also be tempted to swap coconut milk for the beef stock.[p]Let me know how it turns out,
    RhumAndJerk

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Recipe should be great, I was thinking to myself that you would lean toward one of those thai recipes, I was right. I'll be real interested to see how it comes out.[p]The only tip I can give you is to cook it for several hours. Awhile back someone posted a question about the cooking time for beef jerkey and some of the responses came back at 30 minutes or so? Man, I cook mine for hours, 4-5 usually depending on the size of the batch. It gets a good crust on it and makes it nice and chewy. Seems like cooking times any less would be like eating semi cooked meat, not jerkey. Just my 2 pennies but I prefer my jerkey more on the tough smokey side and 30 minutes or an hour just DOES NOT CUT IT.[p]Good luck,[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Yeah. We have smoke in it's pure form. Don't need the liquid kind. Coconut milk. Hmmm. Could be good.[p]I'll keep you posted. Hopefully I will start the marinade tomorrow. Cheers![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    Oh...I agree! Jerky brings to mind low temps, long cook, and tasty smoke. Maybe another good chance to try some of that cherry ST sent down![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Let me know when you're doing it and I will come up. Sounds like fun. [p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Options
    sprinter,[p]I ain't no expert on jerky for sure but I have noticed there are two styles or methods to jerky on the Egg. One is pilled high, maybe 3 lbs worth and the other is a piece or two thick layed out over a larger area. The former takes a long time to cook, while the other produces a chewy dried out piece of meat in much less time albeit not as much of it.[p]I look forward to tring anything NB cooks - well, most anything.[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]""Nature Boy,
    All right, that does sound good. I would skip the liquid smoke, Yuk. I may also be tempted to swap coconut milk for the beef stock. RhumAndJerk""[p]
    The 2 birds in the recipe doesn't bother you? [p]Tim[p]
    heheheehe

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Nature Boy, nice to see that you are going to do a little Jerky. [p]A few things that I have learned... 1) on a medium BGE, about 3.5 lbs is max - last time I got a little carried away in terms of quantity. 2) With Sirloin tip it may even be possible to over marinate - the last batch I made the flavor was terrific, but the result was too tender. [p]It's just about gone, so I'll follow your example and experiment a little. Next time I do the 24+ hour marinate I'll start with a cut like flank steak or maybe even a brisket. [p]Life is GOOD when you have a BGE!

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Gfw,[p]INTERESTING, have you ever tried a brisket for jerkey? I've toyed with the idea a bit but have never done it, too tough but that doesnt make much difference with jerkey. Got me thinkin' again Gfw, your site gives great info on jerkey, got me hooked early on as one of the standards of my BGE, I cook a lot of it. If it works with a brisket it will be CHEAP too. Thanks.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Gfw,
    I have about 2.5 pounds on now. The cherry smoke smells great. It marinated about 15 hours I think. My "mound" is only 2 layers deep, so they should cook up nicely.[p]We'll see!
    Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Tim M,
    It is on now. When ya comin??
    Should be plenty left tomorrow if you wanna come then.
    Bring a shovel so you can help me dig my patio foundation...heeee![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com