Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket & New LBGE Dome Lifter?

Wazoo
Wazoo Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question on Rutland:

I've had a large BGE for about 8+ years with the original gasket -- nary a problem with it. A month ago some cracks developed in the base of the LBGE and I made a warranty call for a replacement. Took a few photos, emailed them in, and a new base came in two weeks later -- CUDOS to the BGE Corp and Tri-County Hearth & Patio (BGE Distributor) in Waldorf, by the way -- NO PROBLEMS OR QUESTIONS.

The Rutland question is this -- should I go ahead and replace the new, pristine gasket on the base of the new BGE with a Rutland while it's clean and "pure," or just wait until later when it needs it. May be a bigger job then regarding cleanup, etc, when doing a replacement.

Comments Regarding New Lifter?

I also noticed a new, spring-loaded "lifter" for the LBGE dome at Tri-County for $89. Looks great, and does away with the locking band application -- but I think it will only work for the rolling nest option, not for a table -- TBD. Lifting the heavy dome is easy and smooth. It mates up with the new rolling nest, however, not the older one like I have. I do have a new nest that someone gave me when they got a table, so I can make the transition. Should be easy to install now, since I'm replacing the LBGE base anyway.

Comments on it?

Thanks,

Waz

Comments

• I can't comment on the lifter

Rutland gasket - I went to Rutland on all three Eggs and I'm real happy with them - neaux issues

LSU 1972
  • f22-CH
    f22-CH Posts: 5
    Since it isn't that difficult to scrape off a cooked gasket and clean the surface, I wouldn't worry about it until it was necessary to replace it. Sounds like you don't do a lot of high temp cooking so it may be long time before you have to replace it.

Can't comment of the lifter.
  • Wazoo
    Thanks. I saw an earlier posting where someone had said that both Rutland and BGE did not recommend using the R-Gasket, but it has been recommended for the 8+ years I have been monitoring this forum (off and on), and most seem to swear by it.

BTW, my boy just got thru his Freshman year at LSU -- going to be class of 2013. He stayed in the same dorm I was in 30+ years ago -- Pentagon. A lot nicer now than it was then. Heading down in Aug to get him moved back in, so we'll get our crawfish/poboy fix (albeit not crawfish season...). Wife is from Monroe. Visiting her family there first.

"Laissez les bons temps rouler!"

Waz
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    I would just roll with the new gasket until such time as replacement is necessary. What info do you have on the new dome lifter? I have not heard of or seen this object. Can you direct me to it? :)
  • Wazoo
    Should have taken a photo. It looked neat, a great idea, and while I "played" with it, totally functional -- except it projected back behind the egg and stood outward several inches from the base, which would be a concern to the table-users. Making it fit in the hole cut in the table surface would be the challenge. It mounted to the rolling nest, so they were "mated" together for full-functionality. Would have to do a work-around for the table, but that is what this crowd does best -- innovate. Waz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    you been hiding under a rock? :laugh: That new lifter is the spring assisted one that has been around for at least 6 years now. Yes I had to slightly modify my table but the simple solution was to merely add another layer of pavers to make my egg ride higher in the table.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wazoo
    Yep, burrowed deep! First I've seen it. Anyway, I've got my mojo going with the old rig, so I'm happy.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    BTW you have email - sometimes ones forwarded through this board end up in the spam filter so if you don't have it by now take a look there.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.