Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new egg

Options
BG Cop
BG Cop Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife is picking up my first egg today. Should be at home when Im done with work. Wanted one for years! super pumped! Any suggestions for first cook

Comments

• boston_stoker
    Options
    Congrats!

I would go with Spatchcock Chicken. It is easy, and I promise you will be impressed by it. It is so much moister than other grilled chicken, add a little apple wood and rub.

www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

You will also find on his site TRex Steaks and Elder Ward's Pulled Pork. Give those a try some time too.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Ribeyes!

But first you have to do perform a little consecration ceremony with your brand new egg (congratulations, by the way).... very important... when the lump is fired up and almost ready for the steaks, take a PBR or drink of choice and pour a little on the egg's dome, then a little in your mouth, then a little on your head all the while howling at the crescent moon and dancing an exaggerated funky chicken counter-clockwise around the egg. Once around will be enough but feel free to go around as many times as feels right. After that, your egg is sanctified and ready for it's first cook.

Good Luck!

john
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Options
    Welcome to the family. I like the way you phrased "my first egg"! :laugh: :laugh:
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    LOL I did that very routine after my first flashback!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Congrats on your first egg, your gonna love it. my vote is for steaks, easy cook, watch the DVD that came with your egg.
    have fun
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Lei'd-n-Egg Posts: 289
    Options
    Congrats BG Cop! You're gonna love it. I would definitely keep it simple for your first cook. Burgers or Spatchcock chicken. Make sure to add plenty of lump before you start your fire.

Good luck
    Bryan
  • Jackwindcrest
    Options
    I just got my first egg today as well. Didn't really know much about them til recently. Got a sample demonstration and both wife and I could immediately tell that the egg beat the competition high end gas grill hands down. Decided to get a medium and picked it ip this morning.

Based on recipes and what we had in the freezer we fixed boneless pork ribs. Used a modified version of the recipe that was in the starter book (substituted red wine for the apple juice and allowed the exact times set out. My bge wanted to stabilize at 350 not the 325 called for but I just kept adjusting the top and bottom openings and the ribs were delicious. I am ever so pleased for a first effort. Everything I've read about the bge is right on the money. Looking forward to many years of heavy use.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    WooDoggies....PLEASE make sure your wife/signif other has a video camera ready when you get your 'next' egg...This I GOTTA see!!! :laugh: :silly: :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Jackwindcrest, Welcome to the forum. As you see we are a bunch of egg lovers. It sounds like you had a very successful first cook. ;) I was never wooed with sample cooks from the dealer before purchasing my first large egg. You will find there are folks in this forum that have medium eggs for their primary cooker. Feel free to post questions you should get answers rather fast. You just got in the middle of this post as it was frizzling out. So if you do have a question start a new post and you will get everyone involved so to speak. Have a great Fathers Day! Tim :)