Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Question

Options
Mr. Matt
Mr. Matt Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone know of a good prep method for a brisket? The last one I made was good (with just salt and pepper as a rub). I have heard that "brining" it in Dr. P or Coke should help with tenderness and sweetness, is this so? Any ideas about a homemade rub? I would always use my own rub made with mainly brown sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper, onions and garlic. But I have read that brown sugar tends to burn...

FYI..
I cook low and slow indirect on a raised grid.

Thanks again for all your help!

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Coffee and Black pepper are great additives to any rub. :) Go with the spices YOU like.There are NO WRONG ONES!!! ;)
  • Joel
    Joel Posts: 74
    Options
    While I'm certainly not suggesting that these measures will hinder a brisket's tenderness, I've cooked a number of delicious briskets using a simple rub and cooked the brisket low and slow. I cook at 250* dome temp using an inverted plate setter with a pan of water beneath until the brisket reaches 190*. I then wrap and let rest for at least an hour. My personal preference is pulling the brisket a little sooner than most prefer on the forum as I've had better luck with this process.

The most important thing to realize is that the brisket is notoriously the most difficult meat to consistently cook well. I've had a number of duds that I could only attribute to bad luck. I tend to be leery of "always do this" or "never do that" brisket cooking folklore.

Good luck!

-Joel
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Because briskets are an involved cook, you will get a bucket load of advice.... all slightly different, but usually all worthwhile. So, it sounds like you are satisfied with your cooking process and the tenderness, which is most of the battle... and now you are changing up the flavor a little?

I'm actually very partial to a simple seasoning of salt/pepper/cayenne, and I don't go too heavy either, but that's just me.

DSC08392a.jpg

So, back to your question.... making your own rubs is very rewarding. However, making one without a guide of sorts can be hit and miss. Usually miss. Here is about the most complex brisket rub I like, it comes from Smokey Hale and has most of the standard brisket seasonings. The addition of celery seed and ground bay bring everything together.

1 cup coarse sea or kosher salt
    1/4 cup granulated garlic
    1/4 cup granulated onion
    1/8 cup ground thyme
    1/8 cup ground bay
    1/8 cup black pepper
    1/8 cup celery seed
    1/8 cup Hungarian paprika

Instead of brining or marinating a brisket, maybe you should try an injection. If I inject, I shoot them with 1 to 2 ounces per pound before adding the rub. Here is my current favorite:

1 can beef broth
    2 to 3 teaspoons of beef soup base, paste form (this must be to taste as the strength changes from brand to brand)
    1 or 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon olive oil

Fishlessman has me hooked on giving the brisket a second injection when it's about 170°. I load several syringes and do it right on the cooker.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Mr. Matt
    Mr. Matt Posts: 59
    Options
    Do you mop you brisket if so what do you use?